About the Program
DHS has mandated the establishment of a Cornerstone Program as part of the
overall Leadership Development Program (LDP) for all components. The
Cornerstone Program provides a developmental roadmap for new and seasoned
supervisors, managers and executives across DHS. It is the first and most
critical element of the DHS Leader Development Framework to be implemented.
For additional information on the Cornerstone Program, please visit
(Accessible only through Coast Guard workstations).
As described in the Cornerstone Program requirements, Coast Guard is responsible for providing and ensuring employee compliance with the annual 12-hour self-development below:
Required 12 hours of self-development annually
- Minimum 12 hours of annual development from internal or
external providers including performance management, and
any of 6 additional competencies (28 Coast Guard Leadership Competencies).
- These may include online, reading, classroom, or other
learning activities. Continuous learning modules are available on Skillport (see below for procedures to access the learning modules).
Continuous learning is essential to keeping pace with changing and
increasing demands. A learning orientation is not only a vital quality in a
leader, it is also what the Department expects our leaders to be willing to
invest in executing mission excellence.
For supervisory, managers and executives beyond their first year of federal supervision
To capture completion of the Continuous Leadership Development (12/12), use the self-report completion of the Continuous Supervisory Leader Development -
Cornerstone 12/12 (502801) on the
Management System (LMS).
To fulfill the 12 hours of self-development annually,
use the list below of DHS approved SkillSoft resources to fulfill this requirement.
To access Skillport e-learning courses visit
CG Portal (Accessible only through Coast Guard workstations).
- locate the course, book, or video you are interested in by expanding the lists below
- then click on the course, book, or video link (this will take you to Skillport portal page)
- once you are on the Skillport portal page, click on the single sign on
- once you are in Skillport, use the search area in the upper right hand corner to search using title, author, course ID, etc.
- once you have located the course, book, or video select "Launch"