Personnel Service Center - Business Operations Division
USCG Military Records Section
1. Always maintain a personal copy of everything you receive. Safeguard all such copies and keep them at home in a secure location.
2. Stay informed about the PDR system by reading the COMDTINST M1080.10I. There is no excuse for being uninformed, especially since all this information is available on the web. This is part of your own career management.
3. Never leave the service without obtaining several signed copies of your DD-214. Don’t lose them!!
4. Make three copies of your records before you turn the originals over to the Coast Guard upon separation.
5. Make a list of all important contacts listed on this site and keep this in your personal files at home.