June 9, 2017 —
ALCOAST 188/17 announces the availability of the Official Blended Retirement System (BRS) Comparison Calculator.
The official comparison calculator is available at http://militarypay.defense.gov/calculators/BRS/ and should be the only calculator used by service members as other tools may not have received adequate vetting.
R 090903 JUN 17
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//CG-1//
SUBJ: SITREP 5 - HUMAN CAPITAL STRATEGY - BLENDED RETIREMENT SYSTEM (BRS) – COMPARISON CALCULATOR
A. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 141440 JUN 16/ALCOAST 222/16
B. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 161451 DEC 16/ACN 445/16
C. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 241050 JAN 17/ACN 013/17
D. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 101400 FEB 17/ALCOAST 034/17
E. Use of Non-government Educational Material and Presenters, COMDTINST 1740.3 (series)
1. PURPOSE. This ALCOAST coincides with the public launch and media campaign advertising the BRS comparison calculator and supplements guidance, required training and financial education opportunities noted in REFs (A) thru (D). The importance of this lifetime decision cannot be overstated. The Coast Guard remains committed to ensuring members have the tools necessary to make well-informed financial choices.
2. The official comparison calculator is available at http://militarypay.defense.gov/calculators/BRS/ and should be the only calculator used by service members as other tools may not have received adequate vetting. Designed to assist eligible service members, the calculator compares the current retirement system, often referred to as the “High-3,” and the BRS. The calculator compliments but does not replace the mandatory Joint Knowledge Online Opt-in Course (JKO) required by REF (D). To maximize your understanding of the comparison calculator results, you should complete the JKO Opt-in course before using the calculator. A short tutorial will accompany the calculator and is intended to help users take advantage of the calculator’s features. The calculator currently defaults to the statutory minimum continuation pay multipliers which are 2.5 months of base pay for the Active component and .5 months of base pay for the Reserve component. In future calculator updates, users will be able to adjust the timing and continuation pay multiplier. Coast Guard continuation pay levels will be announced well prior to the start of the opt-in period, 01JAN18.
3. The BRS is the largest reform to the Uniformed Services retirement system in decades. To prepare for this transition, eligible members must complete the mandatory JKO Opt-in course and leverage financial education opportunities offered by the Coast Guard’s Personal Financial Management Program. Thoroughly understanding personal financial choices is critical to realizing the benefits of your retirement system options. Given the importance of this decision, eligible service members should involve their families and potential beneficiaries in the process. Members are encouraged to seek additional financial literacy information and resources from their local Health, Safety and Work-Life Personal Financial Management Coordinator, their Command Financial Specialist, CG SUPRT or equivalent DoD program services. Per REF (E), commands desiring BRS-related education beyond the required JKO course should consider capitalizing on existing presentations provided at no cost by several organizations in the financial industry. Visit the Office of Work-Life Programs website or the BRS website for guidance on hosting a non-governmental organization financial educator at your unit.
4. Eligible members are reminded to acknowledge their Alert Warning System eligibility notification using their official Coast Guard email account. Using a Direct Access self-service page, eligible personnel will be able to opt-in between 01JAN18 and 31DEC18 and receive TSP benefits the following pay period.
5. Questions regarding the BRS or related items should be directed to COMDT (CG-1331) at HQS-PolicyandStandards@uscg.mil. For more information please visit the new BRS website at http://www.dcms.uscg.mil/brs.
6. RDML William G. Kelly, Assistant Commandant for Human Resources, sends.
7. Internet release is authorized.