U. S. Coast Guard Pay & Personnel Center
Direct Access Outage Thursday, 19 Dec 0001 Hrs. to Tuesday, 31 Dec 2359 Hrs. (Eastern Time)
Direct Access (DA) will not be available for units, SPOs, members or retirees & annuitants from 0001 (EST) on Thursday, 19 December 2019 to 2359 on Tuesday, 31 December 2019 (EST). This outage is necessary to support 2020 pay rate and other regulatory changes. The self-service password reset feature will also be disabled during this outage.
Subscribers to this list will receive notices and information on Coast Guard military pay and personnel policy and procedures. Subscribers will also be notified when active duty and reserve payslips are posted and of both scheduled and unscheduled outages affecting the Direct Access personnel system or the TPAX travel claim liquidation system. Additionally, subscribers will be updated when important information is posted to the Pay and Personnel Center's internet site.
Click to subscribe
Commanding Officer (Staff Symbol)
U.S. Coast Guard
Pay & Personnel Center
444 S. E. Quincy St.
Topeka, KS 66683-3591
Web-TPAX https://webtpax.osc.uscg.mil/ (copy and paste into address bar, must be on a CG Workstation. Web-Tpax cannot be accessed via the internet)
In observance of the Thanksgiving Day Holiday the Pay & Personnel Center (PPC) will be closed on Thursday, November 28, 2019.
Normal business hours will resume on Friday, November 29, 2019.
As always, we will receive your requests via the trouble ticket template at https://cg.portal.uscg.mil/units/ppc/SitePages/Contact%20Us.aspx/ (CGOne CaC Access only) or via email to PPC-DG-CustomerCare@uscg.mil.
R 260900 SEP 19 FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//CG-1/CG-R// TO ALCOAST
SUBJ: FY20 SELECTED RESERVE (SELRES) BONUS, ELIGIBILITY, PAYMENT METHOD AND SPECIAL INCENTIVE PAY
A. Military Bonus Programs, COMDTINST M7220.2 (series)
B. 37 U.S.C. § 331 - General bonus authority for enlisted members
C. 37 U.S.C. § 352 - Assignment pay or special duty pay
D. 37 U.S.C. § 371 – Pay and Allowances of the Uniformed Service
E. 37 U.S.C. § 373 - Repayment of unearned portion of bonus, incentive pay, or similar benefit, and termination of remaining payments, when conditions of payment not met
F. Reserve Policy Manual, COMDTINST M1001.28 (series)
G. Personnel and Pay Procedures Manual, PPCINST M1000.2 (series)
H. Title 10, United States Code - Armed Forces
I. Coast Guard Pay Manual, COMDTINST M7220.29
J. COMDT (CG-R8) memo 1001 of 23 Aug 19
1. Overview: In accordance with REFs (A) and (B), this ACN announces a bonus offer for eligible enlisted members who enlist and affiliate with the Coast Guard SELRES in a designated rating and unit. It also announces Designated Unit Pay (DUP) authorized in REF (C). These bonuses and DUP are incentives to encourage the recruitment, proficiency and retention of individuals in designated ratings and units.
a. In accordance with REF (J), COMDT (CG-133) has approved an exception to policy in FY20 to allow SELRES bonuses offered under 4.B.1.c, 4.B.2.c, and 4.B.3.c of REF (A) to be paid in lump sum to members that meet the established Coast Guard requirements. A single lump sum bonus payment of $10,000 is authorized if participation standards outlined in 4.B of REF (F) have been met for assignment to a Port Security Unit (PSU), in the critical rating of BM, ME and MK for the following SELRES bonus programs listed in paragraph 2.
b. The bonus offerings in this ACN start at the beginning of FY20 (01 OCT 2019 and not before) and are anticipated to remain in effect until the end of FY20 (30 SEP 2020 and not after) contingent upon Congress extending the authority to make payments. Monetary interventions may be adjusted or terminated not less than 30 days in advance. The date determining bonus eligibility is the signature date of the written obligation from the member to serve in the SELRES (Administrative Remarks, forms CG-3307 BON-02, BON-03, BON-04 or CG-3307 AT-10D as appropriate). The signature date must fall within the effective dates; the transition date (transition to SELRES) must be within 6 months after the signature date. Eligible personnel must remain in the enlisted rating and at the unit for which the bonus is authorized.
c. Unit SPOs must submit all bonus documentation to Pay and Personnel Center (PPC) via a customer care trouble ticket after completion of first drill for RX accessions and for those members whose SELRES Affiliation or Prior Service bonuses do not require completion of Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT). USCG Training Center (TRACEN) Petaluma and Yorktown SPOs will complete all Direct Access entries prescribed and submit all bonus documentation to PPC via a customer care trouble ticket upon successful completion of A-school for RA, RK and RP accessions programs and for those members whose SELRES Affiliation or Prior Service bonuses require completion of IADT.
2. Authorization and Eligibility Requirements: The following SELRES bonuses are authorized for members who join the SELRES in the ratings and units detailed in paragraph 1.a. An enlistment bonus is authorized for those joining the Coast Guard SELRES with an original enlistment (non-prior service). An affiliation bonus is authorized for enlisted Coast Guard Veterans (CGVET) and Other Service Veterans (OSVET) who separate (RELAD or discharge) from active duty, or who are serving in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) and subsequently join the SELRES within six months of their separation date. A prior service bonus is authorized for CGVET and OSVET who are within 3 months of completing their 8-year Military Service Obligation (MSO) and join the Coast Guard SELRES greater than six months after separation from active duty. CGVET and OSVET who join the SELRES with over 14 years of combined military service ARE NOT AUTHORIZED a SELRES Affiliation or Prior Service enlistment bonus.
a. Initial Enlistment (Non-Prior Service; RP, RK, RX, RA Programs): Applicants must meet the eligibility requirements of 4.B.2.b. of REF (A), enlist for 8-years (6-years SELRES, 2-years IRR) and complete IADT within 24 months as stated in REF (F). IADT consists of Basic Training or Direct Petty Officer Training (DEPOT) plus A-school completion, if required. For bonus payment, the SELRES enlistment obligation (CG-3307 BON-02) should be executed by Recruiting Office and member prior to SELRES enlistment.
b. Affiliation (RJ, RN, RQ Programs with SELRES entry within six months of RELAD or discharge): Members must meet the eligibility requirements of 4.B.1.b. of REF (A) and have completed fewer than 14 years of combined military service after being discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions. The member shall commit to a 6-year SELRES obligation within six months of RELAD or discharge date, be an E-3 requiring A-school, E-4, or above, and complete IADT if required.
(1) RJ Program - CGVET, RELAD with a portion of 8-year MSO remaining: For members enlisting in the Reserve within 24-hours after RELAD and transferred to the IRR due to billet non-availability, eligibility for the affiliation bonus will remain effective for up to nine months after discharge. For bonus payment, the SELRES affiliation obligation (CG-3307 BON-4 and CG-3307 AT-10D) should be executed before the member is released from active duty. However, if necessary, the agreement may be executed up to nine months after RELAD date and still retain eligibility to a SELRES Affiliation bonus.
(2) RN Program - Prior enlisted with remaining MSO (Mostly OSVET): For bonus payment, the SELRES affiliation obligation (CG-3307 BON-4) should be executed by Recruiting Office and member prior to affiliating into the SELRES.
(3) RQ Program – CGVET or OSVET with no remaining MSO:
[a] For CGVET enlisting in the Reserve within 24-hours after RELAD and transferred to the IRR due to billet non-availability, eligibility for the affiliation bonus will remain effective for up to nine months after discharge. For bonus payment, the SELRES affiliation obligation (CG-3307 BON-4 and CG-3307 AT-10D) should be executed before the member is released or discharged from active duty. However, if necessary, the agreement may be executed up to nine months after RELAD date and still retain eligibility to a SELRES affiliation bonus.
[b] For OSVET affiliating in the Coast Guard SELRES, for payment, the SELRES affiliation obligation (CG-3307 BON-4) should be executed by Recruiting Office and member prior to affiliating into the SELRES.
c. Prior Service (CGVET or OSVET with no remaining MSO; RQ Program with SELRES entry after six months of RELAD or discharge): Members must meet the eligibility requirements of 4.B.3.b. of REF (A), and have over 7 years and 9 months of active duty service but less than 14 years of combined military service after being discharged or released from active duty with an honorable discharge. The member shall commit to a 6-year SELRES obligation, be an E-3 requiring A-school, or an E-4 or above, and complete IADT if required. Members must not have been released, or is not being released, from active duty for the purpose of enlistment in a reserve component. (In such cases, see paragraph 2.b, Affiliation). For payment, the SELRES prior service obligation (CG-3307 BON-3) should be executed by Recruiting Office and member prior to enlisting the SELRES.
d. Reenlistment: Not authorized.
e. REF (G) outlines the application procedures for enlisted bonus programs, along with additional eligibility restrictions, payment schedules and information on recoupment of bonuses should a member not satisfactorily complete a contract. Before advising members about the availability of bonuses, commands or recruiters shall ensure that members meet all eligibility requirements in this message and in REF (A). Bonus eligibility shall be documented on the appropriate Administrative Remarks, Form CG-3307, as per REF (G). Commands shall initiate recoupment action against members who receive a SELRES bonus, but who later do not meet satisfactory participation requirements outlined in REF (F).
f. SELRES members who accept an Extended Active Duty (EAD) contract, those who are approved for conditional release into a Department of Defense (DoD) enlistment to fill a vacant active duty billet, and those who integrate to active duty during the period in which they obligated themselves to serve with the SELRES shall have the unearned portion of the affiliation bonus recouped. Members with obligated service due to acceptance of SELRES enlistment or affiliation bonuses will not normally be approved for enlistment into a DoD component or the Regular Coast Guard until completion of the obligated Coast Guard SELRES service. SELRES members who are performing short-term Active Duty Operational Support (ADOS), whether it is in support of a contingency or not, shall retain their bonus. SELRES members performing long term ADOS at a PSU shall retain their bonus; all other long term ADOS (including back-to-back short term ADOS) will result in bonus recoupment. Any non-fulfillment of obligated SELRES service will result in the member's indebtedness to the Coast Guard in the amount of the unearned bonus as prorated per REF (E). Waivers for unearned bonus debts under 10 U.S.C. § 2774 or remission under 14 U.S.C. § 461 are discouraged. Exceptions to unearned bonus collection must be requested from COMDT (CG-R82) per Subsection 373(b) of REF (E).
g. Members should review 4.C.3 of REF (A) prior to requesting a transfer from their assigned PSU or accepting an appointment as an officer.
3. DUP is authorized by REF (C) at $15 per Inactive Duty Training Period (IDT) or Additional Training Period (ATP) authorized with pay for Reservists assigned to a PSU, Naval Coastal Riverine Squadrons (CORIVRON), and Naval Coastal Riverine Groups (CORIVGRU).
4. Policy: To receive the bonus, members must abide by and continuously maintain the eligibility criteria of this ACN for the entirety of their enlistment and their designated rate and unit.
a. Bonus Agreement limits and payment of bonus. Bonuses will be paid in a lump sum in accordance with REF (A). Bonus amounts not contributed to a tax-deferred Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account are subject to 22% federal and applicable state income tax withholdings. Members desiring to contribute bonus monies to a TSP account must consider the TSP Elective Deferral limit and confirm election not less than 30 days prior to receipt of bonus.
(1) The lump sum will normally be paid on next pay cycle after the effective date of the Bonus Agreement or, if the member has not met all eligibility requirements, as of the Bonus Agreement effective date, the date the member meets all eligibility requirements after the effective date, whichever is later.
(2) Once a Bonus Agreement is signed, it will remain in force until the enlistment expires.
(3) In accordance with REF (D), a member is prohibited from receiving a bonus payment under both Subchapters I and II of Title 37, U.S.C., for the same activity, skill, or period of service.
b. Repayment of Unearned Bonus Amounts. Per REF (A) and (E), unearned bonuses shall be repaid, unless collection is excepted under authorized conditions.
c. Authorized exceptions to repayment of unearned bonuses include the situations listed below and shall be cited by CG PSC-RPM in separation authorizations or other documentation:
(1) Separated, retired, or loss of bonus eligibility by reason of combat-related physical disability, illness, or injury, and not due to misconduct.
The term “combat-related” has the same meaning as in 10 U.S.C. § 1413a(e) and further described in Section 16.D.6 of REF (I).
[b] Combat-relatedness determinations will be made by CG PSC-PSD-MED.
[c] In cases where a member with a current Bonus Agreement in effect 1) dies or 2) is retired or separated with a combat-related disability, and the death or disability is not the result of the member’s misconduct, any bonus installment amount previously paid shall not be repaid. Further, the full amount of the Bonus Agreement amount not yet paid prior to the date of 1) death or 2) retirement or separation due to combat-related disability but to which the member was eligible immediately before the death, retirement, or separation and would otherwise be paid if not for the death, retirement, or separation shall be included as a lump sum in the member’s final settlement of pay and allowances. The lump sum shall be equal to the full remaining amount specified in the agreement as if the member continued to be eligible for the remaining bonus payments. This payment must be paid not later than 90 days following the member’s death, retirement, or separation.
(2) Sole survivorship discharge.
(3) When explicitly accepted from repayment by Coast Guard personnel policy.
(4) All other requests for exceptions to repayment of unearned bonus amounts must be approved by COMDT (CG-R82). Consideration for exception to repayment determinations will generally follow the standards for remission of indebtedness as described in Section 11.G.5 of REF (I).
(5) Unearned bonus calculations will be based on the Defense Finance and Accounting Services accounting method described in REF (A).
5. These changes will be implemented into the next revision of REF (A), which will be released within the next year.
6. For questions please contact the following POCs.
a. SELRES bonuses and Reserve policy, contact: COMDT (CG-R55), HQS-DG-LST-CG-R55@uscg.mil.
b. For general policy questions contact COMDT (CG-1331) at: HQS-PolicyandStandards@uscg.mil.
c. USCG members transitioning to SELRES status: Ms. Michelle Naegeli, CGR-SMB-ISTT@uscg.mil or (202) 795-6851, In-Service Transfer Team (ISTT).
d. POC for recruiters: Mr. Lane Solak, Lane.A.Solak@uscg.mil or (202) 795-6852.
7. Released by Mr. Gary C. Rasicot, Acting Assistant Commandant for Human Resources and RDML T.C. Wiemers, Assistant Commandant for Reserve.
8. Internet release is authorized.