Sept. 19, 2022 —
R 191614Z SEP 22
FM COMCOGARD PSC WASHINGTON DC
SUBJ: COMPETENCIES, QUALIFICATIONS, AND TOOLS FOR MILITARY WORKFORCE PAY, PERSONNEL, AND ADMINISTRATION
A. Interim Technical Authority Guidance for Military Workforce Pay, Personnel, and Administration, PSCNOTE 5402
B. ACN 067/21; By Direction Authority for Field-Level Pay, Personnel, and Administration
C. Pay and Personnel Procedures Manual, PPCINST M1000.2
1. in REF (A). They also support the requirement for Commanding Officers to ensure each member is sufficiently competent before authorizing "By Direction" authority, per REF (B).
2. Commanding Officers with P&As and SPOs shall ensure assigned personnel commence earning the competencies, which are in the process of being assigned to each position as outlined in this message. This is an ideal topic for the requirement in REF (A) to have P&As and SPOs conduct at least four (4) hours of training every month.
a. P&A Technician (PATECH): Assigned to all E-4 and E-5 positions at P&As. PATECH is a prerequisite for PASUP and PAOMPAY.
b. P&A Supervisor (PASUP): Assigned to all E-6 to E-9s and CWOs at P&As; E-5 may earn PASUP.
c. Pay Approving Official (PAOMPAY): Assigned to all E-5 to E-9 serving as PAOs, Assistant SPO Chiefs, and SPO Chiefs.
d. TRAVELAO: Assigned to all E-5 to E-9, and CWOs at P&As and SPOs.
3. Each competency has an associated Personnel Qualification Standard (PQS). These PQSs outline requirements, exceptions, and timelines for completion. They are available on CG Portal. (CG Portal is migrating to SharePoint; both links are below. Copy and Paste URL Below into Browser)
https://cg.portal.uscg.mil/communities/yn-rfmc/SitePages/Home.aspx and https://cg.portal.uscg.mil/units/psc/psc-bops/PSI/default.aspx
4. Commanding Officers, when specifically designating personnel with "By Direction" authority for a task per REF (B), shall first have personnel complete the associated PQS section. Completing the entire PQS is not required for specific "By Direction" authorizations. All other guidance in REF (B) remains applicable.
5. Numerous guides also serve as tools for completing pay, personnel, and administration tasks:
a. The Pay and Personnel Center (PPC), in addition to REF (C), has updated 112 guides based on the new PSI procedures: (Copy and Paste URL Below into Browser)
b. PPC also maintains, among others, guides for Direct Access and the E-Gov Travel System (ETS): (Copy and Paste URL Below into Browser)
c. The e-Reserve Toolkit located on Common Core has useful guides for P&A personnel assisting or counseling Reservists and their supervisors: (Copy and Paste URL Below into Browser)
6. This guidance will be incorporated into a future technical authority instruction that replaces REF (A) once the PSI is completed.
7. For questions regarding this change, contact PSC Business Operations Capabilities (PSC-BOPS-C), (202) 795-6401, HQS-SG-CGPSC-PSITeam-SMB-Access@uscg.mil.
8. Released by: RDML D. C. Barata, Commander, CG Personnel Service Center.
9. Internet release authorized.