April 19, 2023 —
R 181537Z APR 23 MID200080906998U
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC
SUBJ: COMPENSATION AND CREDIT FOR MATERNITY LEAVE TAKEN BY RESERVE
A. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 181601Z APR 22/ALCOAST 140/22
B. National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2021, Public
C. Military Assignments and Authorized Absences, COMDTINST M1000.8A
D. Pay and Allowances of the Uniformed Services, Title 37 U.S.C.
E. Armed Forces, Title 10 U.S.C.
1. This ALCOAST announces the continuation of the policy announced
in REF (A) for compensation and credit for maternity leave taken by
Reserve Component members. In accordance with section 602 of
REF (B), REF (C) is updated authorizing Inactive Duty Training (IDT)
compensation and credit for retired pay purposes for maternity
leave, hereby referred to as maternity absence, taken by members of
the Reserve Component.
2. Maternity absence is authorized in lieu of duty for up to 12
regularly scheduled IDT drills within one year of a birth event for
satisfactorily participating Selected Reserve (SELRES) members who
give birth after 20-weeks gestation.
3. Compensation for up to 12 scheduled IDT drills for maternity
absence is authorized in accordance with section 206(a) of REF (D)
and credit toward retirement will accrue in accordance with Chapter
1223 of REF (E).
4. Reservists must notify their command as soon as practical
following a qualifying birth event in order to facilitate processing
of drill pay and retirement points for maternity absence.
5. Commanders must not disapprove maternity absence for members
during the first three months immediately following a qualifying
birth event. Reservists who opt to take maternity absence outside
the initial three months following the birth event are subject to
scheduling constraints set by commanders due to operational and
training requirements, however, they must be allowed to take the
absence before reaching 12 months post-partum.
6. Points credited for maternity absence will be applied to the year
(anniversary and fiscal) in which they occur.
7. For each qualifying birth event separate crediting of points will
accrue for each maternity absence.
8. If a SELRES member used all 12 weeks of the Parental Leave
Program prior to separation from active duty, they are not entitled
to 12 maternity absence IDT drills for the same birth event. If a
portion of parental leave was taken prior to separation from active
duty then one (1) IDT drill is authorized for every six (6) days of
unused parental leave.
9. Changes will be incorporated to REF (C) with a new section within
Chapter 6 during the next revision, which will be released within
the next year.
10. This message will be cancelled on 17 APR 2024.
11. Questions on execution should be directed to COMDT (CG-R55):
12. Policy questions should be directed to COMDT (CG-1334):
13. CAPT M. M. Roebuck, Acting Director of Military Personnel
14. Internet release is authorized.