Directions on how to properly submit the AO memo and CG-7421A
In order for a member to receive AO permission, they must complete the Travel Authorizing/Approving Official (AO) Course and either attach proof of completion to the CG-7421A or attach proof to the e-mail sent to PPC.
The TPAX/WINIATS USER ROLE DESIGNATION FORM CG-7421A (07/17) has been updated and published on our forms web page. This form now allows for electronic digital signatures. Simply e-mail the completed and digitally signed form to PPC-SMB-TpaxUserForms using the button on the form.
- An AO Designation Memo is no longer required.
- If you are also being designated as Government Travel Charge Card Travel Manager, go to: https://www.dcms.uscg.mil/PSC/BOPS/PSC-BOPS-R/GOVTrvl/Travel_Card/Travel_Manager/#How_do_I_get_assigned_as_a_Travel_Manager for the required process.
Travel AO Webinar
Travel Authorizing /Approving Official (AO) Course
Per ALCOAST 118/17, Travel Authorizing / Approval Official (AO) Certification, completion of the Travel Authorizing /Approving Official (AO) Course is required all newly designated AOs and will be required annually as a refresher training.
The Travel AO Course is available in the Coast Guard Learning Management System (LMS) (CAC logon required).
AOs play a critical role in managing travel. They contribute to mission readiness by ensuring travel is necessary to meet the organization’s mission requirements. AOs oversee the obligation of travel funds, authorize travel, ensure travelers abide by all travel regulations, and approve reimbursements for authorizing travel expenses. In this role, AOs function as Certifying Officers (COs) when approving most TPAX documents and are expected to safeguard taxpayer funds from misuse. Any approved payment found to be erroneous, may result in an AO being held personally liable for reimbursing the Government for the amount of the erroneous payment. This financial responsibility is called “pecuniary liability.” To better prepare AOs and protect them from the consequences of erroneous payments, the Coast Guard developed a specialized training course for Authorizing /Approving Officials (AOs).
- The Course will teach new AOs to review, authorize, and sign T-PAX transactions and manually submitted travel documents.
- The estimated length is four hours.
- The Course can be found in the Human Resources catalog.
- The Course number is 100102.
If you are currently logged on with a CAC, you can enroll in the course now.
Travel Authorizing /Approving Official (AO) Course Offline
The AO Course contains Adobe FLASH Media and has been temporarily removed as Adobe FLASH Media is no longer supported and deemed a cyber-vulnerability by CG-6. Please submit your CG-7421a without any attachments and permissions will be granted. As soon as the course comes back online, we will update our website and require proof of completion of the AO course for new AO's or proof the tests have been completed for renewing AO permissions.
To complete this process correctly, please follow these steps:.
- Complete the Travel Authorizing /Approving Official (AO) Course (see above).
- Complete the TPAX/WINIATS USER ROLE DESIGNATION FORM CG-7421A and attach proof of AO course completion to the form or attach it to the e-mail sent to the supervisor / PPC.
- Submit the CG-7421A it to your supervisor using the e-mail button on the form (include or attach the proof of AO course completion).
- Supervisor: Sign the CG-7421A (digitally) and forward to PPC using the e-mail button on the form (be sure the member's proof of AO course completion is attached to the form or attached to the e-mail message itself).