On April 23, 2019 CG-47 released the U.S. Coast Guard Environmental Planning Policy, COMDTINST 5090.1 (series) (EP CI) and the Environmental Planning Implementing Procedures (EP IP). The EP CI mandates the use of the EP IP. The two documents now align with the DHS NEPA policy, Implementation of the National Environmental Policy Act, Department of Homeland Security Instruction Manual 023-01-001-01 (series) and replace the old Coast Guard National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Implementing Procedures and Policy for Considering Environmental Impacts, COMDTINST 16475.1D, which has been cancelled. The EP CI and IP include significant changes to the Coast Guard environmental planning process and provide improved policy and procedures for complying with both NEPA and Environmental Effects Abroad of Major Federal Actions, Executive Order (EO) 12114. Coast Guard members engaged in environmental planning efforts or taking actions that trigger NEPA or EO 12114 requirements must read both the EP CI and IP in order to implement their requirements effectively. Significant changes from COMDTINST M16475.1D included in the EP CI and IP include but are not limited to:
- Policy and procedures on the requirements of EO 12114.
- Pre-planning process and notification requirements for NEPA and EO 12114.
- Timing of compliance with other related environmental mandates (ESA, NHPA, etc.).
- Requirements to track and report mitigation and monitoring commitments.
- Requirement to establish formal agreements for providing environmental planning support.
- Specific guidance for both the acquisitions and shore facilities management programs
USCG Environmental Planning Policy, COMDTINST 5090.1
Environmental Planning Implementing Procedures for COMDTINST 5090.1 Environmental Planning Policy