Frequently Asked Questions 

What is OHA?

Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) is a reimbursement program designed to partially offset housing expenses for military members stationed overseas. OHA works differently than Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH), the housing allowance typically paid INCONUS. Generally, members receiving OHA are reimbursed for the exact cost of their lease (up to a specified limit) and a set utilities reimbursement amount. See Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) (  or  COMDTINST M7220.29 (series) for more information.

How does TLA work?

Temporary Housing Allowance (TLA):

  • Available to members who are released from housing and awaiting Household Good Moves (HHGs) as well as members assigned to Rio Bayamon Housing (family government quarters).

  • NOT available to members assigned to reside in Ship quarters or Unaccompanied Personnel Housing (UPH).

  • Authorized for up to 60 days in 10 day increments.

  • Claims must be accompanied by: Orders, an itemized receipt with $0 balance, and proof of house hunting efforts.

  • TLA begins the day the member reports in, not the day the member arrives on island.

  • Resort Fees and Parking are NOT reimbursable TLA expenses, only Lodging and taxes are reimbursable.

See the Defense Travel Website or COMDTINST M4600.17 (series) for more information.

What is the status of my overseas screening?

Please reach out to your current unit's yeoman or email:

Can I get a release from Housing?

Please contact the appropriate email address:

Rio Bayamon Housing:

Unaccompanied Personnel Housing:


Content Managed by the Base San Juan Personnel Support Department