U. S. Coast Guard Pay & Personnel Center

click for guides
click for guides

self-service user guides

2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Direct Access (DA) Maintenance Outage

DA will not be available from 2100 hrs. (Central Time) on Thursday, December 2, 2021 until 0100 hrs. (Central Time), Friday, December 3, 2021. An outage will occur in order to perform server maintenance.

PPC Page Menu
Click the arrows to expand the menu
Click the arrows to expand the menu
Contact Us

Mailing address:

Commanding Officer (Staff Symbol)
U.S. Coast Guard 
Pay & Personnel Center
444 S. E. Quincy St.
Topeka, KS 66683-3591


(866) 772-8724
(785) 339-2000
For E-Gov Travel Sys (ETS) Call the 
hotline: 1-866-800-USCG (8724)


(785) 339-3780


Customer CarePPC-DG-CustomerCare@uscg.mil

Web Content Manager - PPC-SMB-PPC-PD@uscg.mil


Direct Access https://hcm.direct-access.uscg.mil
Log on to ETS/ETS Logo https://e2.gov.cwtsatotravel.com/

Feedback button
Report broken links 
or other website
issues here

Portal Login

customer care

Blended Retirement System Information

DMDC Logo/MilConnect LnkmilConnect

MyCG Logo

Pay & Personnel News Updates from our Branches

Civilian Employee Appeal of Travel claim Determinations

Civilian employee travel and relocation expenses claims must first be filed with PPC (TVL). Claims are adjudicated in accordance with the Federal Travel Regulations and COMDINST M7220.29(series). Claimants disagreeing with PPC (TVL) determinations may request a review of the claim by Coast Guard Headquarters (CG-1215). Claimants disagreeing with CG-1215 may apply to the Civilian Board of Contract Appeal (CBCA) for review.

1.Request for review by Coast Guard Headquarters (CG-1215) is done by sending a written,signed request for appeal that contains the amounts sought and a detailed explanation of why the appeal should be granted. A complete copy of the PPC (TVL) claims determination must be attached. The request is sent to:

Commanding Officer (TVL)
Pay & Personnel Center
444 SE Quincy ST
Topeka, KS 66683-3591

PPC (TVL) will review the request for appeal then forward the appeal to CG-1215 for their review.

2. If CG-1215 grants the appeal, they will notify the claimant in writing explaining action taken on the claim. This is considered a final action. If CG-1215 denies the appeal, the claimant may seek appeal to the CBCA. Detailed information about the CBCA, including specific procedures for filing claims appeals, can be found on-line at http://www.cbca.gsa.gov/.

3. Claimants may file an appeal directly to the CBCA or they may request that CG-1215 forward the appeal on the claimant’s behalf to the CBCA.

4. Address questions about travel claims and appeal of travel claims to your AO.