Oct. 3, 2022 —
R 031303Z OCT 22 MID200080290634U
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC
SUBJ: UPDATES TO POLICY FOR ENHANCED ENLISTED CAREER FLEXIBILITY
A. Enlistment, Evaluations, and Advancements, COMDTINST M1000.2C
1. This ALCOAST announces updates to increase flexibility to allow active duty and reserve members to opt out of advancement.
2. Effective immediately, Section 3.A.21.d(1)-(3) of REF (A) is deleted and replaced with the following paragraph: "Opting Out of Advancement. Active duty and reserve enlisted members may opt-out of advancement any time after the release of the initial advancement eligibility list until the date of the effective advancement. To opt out of advancement, members must provide a signed memorandum with command endorsement to CG PPC (ADV) via email at PPC-DG-CustomerCare@uscg.mil, copying CG PSC (EPM-1 & EPM-2), or (RPM-1) at HQS-SMB-CGPSC-EPM-1-Advancements@uscg.mil, HQS-SMB-CGPSC-EPM-2-Admin@uscg.mil, or HQS-SMB-CGPSC-RPM-1-Status@uscg.mil respectively. Members will then be removed from all existing advancement eligibility lists. Members must notify PPC of their decision to opt-out of advancement between 1 May and 1 November (active duty) or on or before 1 January (reserve) to re-compete or participate in the next servicewide exam. Members who notify PPC outside of this time frame will not be eligible to opt-out of advancement and will advance according to the advancement eligibility list."
3. The change to REF (A) removes the requirement for capturing a member's election to opt-out of advancement in an Administrative Remarks Entry, CG-3307. As such, effective immediately, commands shall not document a member's decision to decline or opt out of advancement in their Personal Data File.
4. The change to REF (A) will be reflected in upcoming revisions which will be released within the next year.
5. This message will be cancelled on 02 OCT 2023.
6. POC: COMDT (CG-133) at: HQSPolicyandStandards@uscg.mil
7. RADM B. K. Penoyer, Assistant Commandant for Human Resources (CG-1), sends.
8. Internet release is authorized.