Oct. 3, 2022 —
R 031202Z OCT 22
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC TO ALCOAST
UNCLAS ALCOAST 367/22
SUBJ: CHANGE TO POLICY AND PROCEDURES FOR SERVICEWIDE EXAM (SWE) POINTS
A. Enlistments, Evaluations, and Advancements, COMDTINST M1000.2C
B. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 191702Z OCT 21/ACN 103/21
C. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 071307Z MAR 22/ACN 016/22
1. This ALCOAST announces changes to REFS (A) and (B), and updates cancelation date of REF (C). Specifically, this ALCOAST updates the policy and procedures for Service Wide Exam (SWE) Award Points, Sea/Surf Duty Points, and Incentive Points.
2. Effective 30 SEP 2022, additional SWE points authorized by Articles 3.A.3.g. and 3.A.3.h. of REF (A), and SWE points authorized through approved non-monetary interventions by REF (B) and future Military Workforce Planning Teams (MWPT), are collectively called Incentive Points and are no longer treated as award points, nor entered into Direct Access (DA) as awards. Beginning 30 SEP 2022, incentive points will be treated as sea/surf duty points, and will be entered into DA via a new 'Incentive Points' module within 'Person Profiles'. When determining eligibility and entering incentive points into DA, members and commands must be mindful of the applicable Points Start Date (PSD), Servicewide Eligibility Date (SED), and Personnel Data Extract (PDE) correction deadline. The Pay and Personnel Center (PPC) has published an associated DA user guide, which can be found on their website: (Copy and Paste URL Below into Browser) www.dcms.uscg.mil/Portals/10/CG-1/PPC/GUIDES/GP/SPO/PersonProfile/IncentivePoints.pdf
3. The following changes to REF (A) are effective 30 SEP 2022:
a. The table in Article 3.A.3.f. is updated to replace "(active duty members only)" with "(including incentive points)" in the 'Combination of sea/surf duty' Factor block and, in the associated 'How Computed' block, replace "Credit given IAW 3.A.17 of this Manual" with "Credit given IAW Articles 3.A.3.g. and 3.A.17. of this Manual."
b. The following is added as "Note 3" under the table in Article3.A.3.f.(2): "Company Commander (CC), Officer in Charge (OIC), and Port Security Unit (PSU) Reserve Assignment are creditable awards through 29 September 2022."
c. Article 3.A.3.g. is replaced with: "Additional SWE Points. Incentives Points under this Article will be treated as award points through 29 September 2022. Effective 30 September 2022, Incentive Points will be treated as sea/surf duty points in accordance with Articles 3.A.3.f. and 3.A.17. of this Manual.
(1) Officer in Charge (OIC). BM1s who have successfully passed a District OIC Board and received a BMOA, BMOB, BMOC, or BMOD competency in Direct Access will receive an additional SWE point. Members will not receive multiple additional SWE points for additional OIC competency codes. This point does not apply to BMs competing for grades other than BMC.
(2) Company Commander (CC). Members who earn the CC insignia will receive an additional SWE point for advancement to the next pay grade.
(3) Port Security Unit (PSU) Reserve Assignment. Reservists assigned by Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders to a PSU will be awarded one point toward the SWE multiple score after the member serves a minimum of one year in the assignment. Reservists will only receive one point per tour, no matter the length or number of extensions received. The point must be recorded in DA by July 1 of the qualifying year to meet SWE cutoff dates. If it is projected that one full year of a member's tour is to be complete on or before the next SWE administration, the point may be awarded to be in effect for the upcoming SWE. Previous PSU tours, completed prior to 1 July 2017, are not considered. Any Reservist currently assigned to a PSU, with one or more years of permanently assigned service at that PSU on or before the next SWE administration date is eligible for the point. Reservists augmenting or performing duty, but not permanently assigned to that PSU, or Reservists with prior PSU assignment(s) before 1 July 2017, but not currently assigned to a PSU, are not eligible for the point until accepting a new permanent assignment to a PSU and completing at least one year of service at that PSU before the next SWE administration date. Active Duty members assigned to or augmenting a PSU are not eligible for the oint.
(4) Level 4 and Level 5 Career Sea Pay (CSP) Cutters. Members who are permanently assigned to a Level 4 or 5 CSP-eligible cutter on or after 1 October 2022 are authorized additional SWE points as follows:
(a) Members who are permanently assigned to a designated Level 4 CSP-eligible cutter are authorized 0.5 additional SWE point upon completion of each full year of such sea duty. Sea duty performed prior to 1 October 2022 is not creditable for this point.
(b) Members who are permanently assigned to a designated Level 5 CSP-eligible cutter are authorized 0.5 additional SWE point upon completion of each full six months of such sea duty. Sea duty performed prior to 1 October 2022 is not creditable for this point.
(5) Pre-commissioning Cutter Crews (PCC). Members who are permanently assigned to a designated PCC on or after 30 September 2022, and are not otherwise entitled to nor receiving Career Sea Pay (CSP), are authorized 0.5 additional SWE point upon completion of each full three months of such duty. Duty performed prior to 30 September 2022 is not creditable for this point.
(6) Cutters Undergoing Maintenance Periods (CMP). Members who are permanently assigned to a designated CMP on or after 30 September 2022, and are not otherwise entitled to nor receiving CSP, are authorized 0.5 additional SWE point upon completion of each full three months of such duty. Duty performed prior to 30 September 2022 is not creditable for this point.
(7) The MWPT may approve additional SWE Incentive Points as non-monetary interventions through the applicable year workforce planning team. Eligibility criteria and point(s) credit will be announced via the MWPT ALCOAST message. Approved points for eligible members will be entered into DA by the Personnel and Administration Office (P&A), following PPC's published "Incentive Points" DA user guide."
d. Article 3.A.17.b.(1) is replaced with: "Sea/Surf Duty Points Credit. Members competing in the SWE competition will receive credit for each full month of Coast Guard sea duty earned after 1 February 1994, not to exceed two whole points per year except as specified in Article 3.A.17.b.(2). Incentive Points authorized under Article 3.A.3.g. of this Manual are creditable as sea/surf duty points. Members may only accrue a maximum of 30 sea/surf duty points."
e. Article 3.A.17.b.(2) is replaced with: "Members Assigned to a National Security Cutter (WSML). Members assigned PCS to a WSML on or after 1 January 2016 will receive credit for each full month of sea duty during the period 1 January 2016 through 30 September 2021, not to exceed 2.333 points per year."
f. Article 3.A.3.h. will be removed. Articles 3.A.3.i. and 3.A.3.j. will be renumbered as 3.A.3.h. and 3.A.3.i., respectively.
4. The following changes to REF (B) are effective 01 OCT 22:
a. SWE points authorized by paragraphs 7.b. through 7.e. of REF (B) remain in effect through 29 SEP 2022. However, effective 30 SEP 2022, such points must be entered as incentive points, vice awards, IAW paragraph 2 of this ALCOAST. No SWE points authorized by REF (B) may be entered as awards after 29 SEP 2022.
b. Paragraph 7.h. is hereby cancelled.
5. REF (C) is cancelled effective 30 SEP 2022.
6. The changes announced by this ALCOAST do not impact previously earned and credited SWE points.
7. All other provisions of REFs (A) and (B) remain in effect.
8. Questions regarding this ALCOAST may be directed to Office of Military Personnel Policy (CG-133) at: HQS-PolicyandStandards@uscg.mil.
9. COs and OICs shall ensure widest dissemination of this ALCOAST to all officers and enlisted members.
10. This message will be cancelled on 02 OCT 2023.
11. RADM B. K. Penoyer, Assistant Commandant for Human Resources (CG-1), sends.
12. Internet release is authorized.