Sept. 15, 2023 —
R 151144Z SEP 23 MID120000442451U
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC
SUBJ: CHANGES TO SPECIAL LEAVE ACCRUAL (SLA)
A. Military Assignments and Authorized Absences, COMDTINST M1000.8A
B. 10 U.S.C. Section 701
C. National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2023, Public
D. Personnel & Pay Procedures Manual, PPCINST M1000.2B
1. This ALCOAST announces changes to the Special Leave Accrual
Policy in REF (A) to comply with Congressional changes in law per
REFs (B) and (C). The law regarding SLA applies to all military
services and the Coast Guard has made the following changes to
Chapter 2.A.15 of REF (A):
a. 2.A.15.b.(1) replace "may accumulate up to 120 days" with
"may accumulate up to 90 days".
b. 2.A.15.b.(2) replace "maximum 120 days" with "maximum 90
c. 2.A.15.b.(3) replace "Personnel performing duties" with
"Personnel performing duties in support of an operational mission
for 60 or more consecutive days" and replace "maximum 120 days"
with "maximum 90 days".
d. 2.A.15.b.(4) replace "unscheduled operational commitment"
e. Remove 2.A.15.b.(5).
f. 2.A.15.c.(2) replace "before the end of the third fiscal year"
with "before the end of the second fiscal year".
g. 2.A.15.c.(5) replace "would lose accumulated leave in excess
of 120 days" with "would lose accumulated leave in excess of 90
2. A one-time 30 days SLA sell back, to be sold at any time, is
authorized for enlisted Service members who would lose leave
accumulated in excess of 90 days. Enlisted Service members may
exercise this option only once any time throughout their career and
this sell back counts toward the member's cap of 60 days over a
3. Commands and members that meet the criteria for SLA carryover can
find procedures for SLA requests in REF (D) Chapter 6 Section Q.
4. These changes are effective immediately and will be incorporated
into the next revision of REF (A), which will be released within
the year. All other policies outlined in REF (A) not addressed
5. This message will be cancelled on 14 SEP 2024.
6. Questions regarding this ALCOAST may be directed to Office of
Military Personnel Policy (CG-1M1) at:
7. RADM M. W. Raymond, Assistant Commandant for Military
Personnel (CG-1M), sends.
8. Internet release is authorized.