Nov. 2, 2022 —
R 211940Z OCT 22 MID200080385365U
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC
SUBJ: FY23 WORKFORCE PLANNING TEAM RESULTS - ENLISTED MONETARY INTERVENTIONS
A. Military Bonus and Incentive Programs, COMDTINST 7220.2A
B. 37 U.S.C. - Pay and Allowances of the Uniformed Services
C. Performance, Training and Education Manual, COMDTINST M1500.10C
D. Enlisted Accessions, Evaluations, and Advancements, COMDTINST M1000.2C
E. Coast Guard Medical Manual, COMDTINST M6000.1F
1. This ALCOAST announces the results of the Military Workforce Planning Team (MWPT) monetary enlisted interventions. The MWPT convened in May 2022 to develop and recommend workforce policy interventions. Specifically, this ALCOAST authorizes Enlistment Bonuses (EB), Critical Skills Training Bonuses (CSTB), Critical Skills Retention Bonuses (CSRB), and Selective Reenlistment Bonuses (SRB), which are authorized pursuant to REF (A) and REF (B).
2. The policy interventions are applicable to Enlisted Active Duty Members and Reserve Members under Extended Active Duty (EAD) orders. The bonus offerings in this ALCOAST are for FY23 (beginning 01 Oct 2022) and are anticipated to remain in effect until the end of FY23 (30 Sep 2023) contingent upon Congress extending the authority to make payments. Monetary interventions may be adjusted or terminated not less than 30 days in advance by announcement via ALCOAST. Authorized FY22 interventions terminate on 30 Sep 2022.
3. ENLISTMENT BONUS (EB). Pursuant to Section 331 of REF (B), an EB is authorized for new recruits enlisting in the Coast Guard for the first time. Each EB is mutually exclusive and cannot be combined with any other EB.
a. Guaranteed A School Enlistment Bonus (GA-EB). A GA-EB is authorized for new recruits, for their first career enlistment, that sign an agreement to attend one of the following critical rating Class A Schools immediately upon graduation from boot camp. Prior service applicants are not authorized a GA-EB. Applicants agree to enlist and satisfactorily complete a minimum of four years of Active Duty Service Commitment (ADSC) and abide by all requirements and eligibility qualifications of REF (A) and Section 331 of REF (B) to earn a GA-EB entitlement.
(1) Operations Specialist (OS). A $20,000 EB is authorized for OS applicants to enlist.
(2) Electricians Mate (EM). A $15,000 EB is authorized for EM applicants to enlist.
(3) Electronics Technician (ET). A $25,000 EB is authorized for ET applicants to enlist.
(4) Gunners Mate (GM). A $20,000 EB is authorized for GM applicants to enlist.
(5) Culinary Specialist (CS):
(a) A $50,000 EB is authorized for CS applicants with a qualifying culinary degree to enlist as an E-3.
i. A qualifying culinary degree is defined as an Associate of Arts (AA) or Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in culinary arts from an accredited academic or culinary institution.
ii. The culinary degree must be verified by the CS Rating Force Master Chief (RFMC).
iii. CS members who acquire a culinary degree after completion of CS Class A-School and members in the Regular Coast Guard who acquire or hold a culinary degree are ineligible.
(b) A $45,000 EB is authorized for CS applicants with a qualifying culinary certificate to enlist as an E-3.
i. A qualifying culinary certificate is defined as a culinary arts certification from an institution accredited by the American Culinary Federation.
ii. The culinary certificate must be verified by the CS RFMC.
iii. CS members who acquire a culinary certificate after completion of CS Class A-School and members in the Regular Coast Guard who acquire or hold a culinary certificate are ineligible.
(c) A $40,000 EB is authorized for CS applicants without a degree or certificate to enlist.
b. Non-rate Enlistment Bonus (NR-EB). A $2,000 NR-EB is authorized to new recruits, for their first career enlistment, without a guaranteed affiliation with a Class A-school. Prior service applicants are not authorized a NR-EB. Applicants agree to enlist and satisfactorily complete a minimum of two years of ADSC.
c. Prior Service Enlistment Bonus (PS-EB). A $2,000 PS-EB is authorized to new recruits that satisfactorily completed an enlistment of at least 24 months in a DoD armed service. Applicants agree to enlist and satisfactorily complete a minimum of two years of ADSC.
d. Quick Ship Enlistment Bonus (QS-EB). A $5,000 or, as directed by Coast Guard Recruiting Command (CGRC), a $10,000 QS-EB is authorized, as needed, for all new recruits to fill any Recruit Training Company that is not scheduled to be at capacity. Eligible applicants for the QS EB must agree to ship not more than four (4) weeks prior to the Recruit Training Company convening date. Applicants agree to enlist and satisfactorily complete a minimum of four years of ADSC.
e. College Credits Enlistment Bonus (CC-EB). A CC-EB is authorized for new recruits, who have attained the credit hours in subparagraphs (1)-(4) below and agree to enlist without a guaranteed Class A-School. Applicants agree to enlist and satisfactorily complete a minimum of four years of ADSC and abide by all requirements and eligibility qualifications of REF (A) and Section 331 of REF (B) to earn a GA-CC entitlement.
(1) A $3,000 CC-EB is authorized for all new recruits who have 30-59 cumulative credit hours from an accredited college, university, or technical school.
(2) A $5,000 CC-EB is authorized for all new recruits who have 60-89 cumulative credit hours from an accredited college, university, or technical school.
(3) A $7,000 CC-EB is authorized for all new recruits who have 90-119 cumulative credit hours from an accredited college, university, or technical school.
(4) A $10,000 CC-EB is authorized for all new recruits who have 120 or higher cumulative credit hours from an accredited college, university, or technical school.
(5) The following language replaces Chapter 1.E.17.(e) of REF (A) for CC-EBs authorized in FY23: College Credits Enlistment Bonus (CC-EB). A bonus authorized to new recruits who have attained 30 or more cumulative credit hours from an accredited college, university, or technical school, and who enlist without a guaranteed Class A- School. Applicants agree to enlist and satisfactorily complete a minimum of four years of ADSC.
4. CRITICAL SKILLS TRAINING BONUS (CSTB). A CSTB is authorized for current active duty enlisted personnel who agree to attend and complete Class A-Schools below in subparagraphs (b) - (e), or in the BM Rating Apprenticeship Program (RAP), and agree to extend their enlistment upon graduation to meet obligated service IAW REF (C).
a. General eligibility requirements:
(1) All CSTBs incur a four (4) year Active Duty Service Commitment (ADSC) from date of Class A-School graduation, advancement to pay grade E-4 through the BM RAP, or receipt of designator, whichever is later. Applicable contract extensions must be executed upon graduation of Class A-School, advancement to E-4 through BM-RAP, or receipt of designator to meet the minimum obligated service requirement;
(2) Members must abide by all requirements and eligibility qualifications IAW REF (A);
(3) Members may not receive a CSTB if they have signed a contract (annex) to receive a GA-EB for the same rate;
(4) Members who qualify for a CSTB, but received an EB, will receive the computed difference between the CSTB and EB;
(5) Members must continuously meet all performance and conduct standards including additional reenlistment criteria as outlined in REF (D). Members who are eligible to extend are eligible to receive a CSTB; and
(6) Members must apply for the bonus by completing and submitting the Bonus Agreement listed in Paragraph 7.a.(2) of this ALCOAST.
b. A $40,000 CSTB is authorized for CS Class A-School.
c. A $25,000 CSTB is authorized for ET Class A-School.
d. A $20,000 CSTB is authorized for OS and GM Class A-School.
e. A $15,000 CSTB is authorized for EM Class A-School.
f. A $20,000 CSTB is authorized for BM RAP. To be eligible, a member must hold a current boat crew certification on any platform (except punts, skiffs, and ice rescue boats).
To be eligible, a member must hold a current Boat Crew Competency from any ashore standard boat (except punts, skiffs, ice rescue boats) or Long Range Interceptor (LRI) and Over the Horizon (OTH) cutter boats. Commands of new prospective applicants who meet the requirements must submit an A-school request form selecting BM RAP.
5. CRITICAL SKILLS RETENTION BONUS (CSRB): Pursuant to Section 355 of REF (B), a CSRB is authorized for current active duty enlisted personnel who possess a critical military skill below in subparagraphs (b) or (c), and agree to reenlist or extend their enlistment. CSRBs for CGCYBER will be announced SEPCOR.
a. General eligibility criteria are:
(1) Remain qualified under the eligibility criteria of this ALCOAST and REF (A);
(2) Accept and remain assigned to an approved CSRB position under the Bonus Agreement;
(3) Members’ current obligated active duty service, as defined in REF (A), must expire on or before 30 Sep 2023;
(4) Members must have fewer than 25 years, 00 months, and 00 days of total active duty service by the end of the completion of a CSRB Agreement, reenlistment contract, or agreement to extend enlistment;
(5) Members must meet all the requirements in Paragraph 5.b, 5.c.(1), or 5.c.(2) (corresponding to their CSRB) by 30 Sep 2023. (Note: Failure to obtain the requirements will result in termination of the Bonus Agreement and repayment of all unearned bonus funds paid);
(6) Members must apply for the bonus by completing and submitting the Bonus Agreement listed in Paragraph 7.a.(3) of this ALCOAST; and
(7) Members agree to reenlist or extend to meet the ADSC obligation in Paragraph 5.b, 5.c.(1), or 5.c.(2) (corresponding to their CSRB). Obligation of ADSC under a CSRB will be executed as an extension to the current enlistment contract. If the additional service obligation extension will exceed the six (6) year extension limit of an enlistment contract, the member may be discharged and immediately reenlisted, by convenience of the government, for the total service obligated in whole years.
b. AST CSRB Amount: A $40,000 CSRB is authorized for AST members in paygrades E4 through E6. Members are eligible for a bonus if: (1) They have 18 to 21 years Time in Service (TIS); and (2) They enter into a bonus agreement for four (4) years of active service obligation.
c. BM CSRB Amounts:
(1) A $40,000 CSRB is authorized for BM members in paygrades E5 through E7 who are qualified as Surfman (SRF) or who will qualify as SRF in FY23. Members are eligible for a bonus if:
(a) They enter into a bonus agreement for six (6) years of active duty service obligation;
(b) They accept assignment to a SRF position; and
(c) They are tour complete in AY2023 and are in receipt of orders to a SRF position.
(2) A $20,000 CSRB is authorized for BM members that certify as Heavy Weather Coxswain (HWX) in FY23. Members certified as HWX prior to FY23 are not eligible. Members are eligible for a bonus if:
(a) They enter into a bonus agreement for four (4) years of active duty service obligation;
(b) They accept assignment to a Heavy Weather Station or Surf Station; and
(c) They are tour complete in AY2023 and are in receipt of orders to a HWX position.
6. SELECTIVE REENLISTMENT BONUS (SRB):
a. An SRB may not be paid for the same period of service in which an EB CSTB, or CSRB is paid.
b. Members meeting the criteria in Chapter 2.F of REF (A), are eligible for an SRB.
c. Members must continuously meet all performance and conduct standards, including additional reenlistment criteria, as outlined in REF (D). Members who are eligible to reenlist are eligible to receive an SRB.
d. All members must reenlist to qualify for an SRB; members extending their contracts are not authorized to receive SRBs. IAW Chapter 2.F. of REF (A), members may only receive one SRB per zone during their careers.
e. This message waives Chapter 2.F.4.(a) and 2.F.4.(b) of REF (A) for FY23 and authorizes members who enlist into the Regular Coast Guard under the Open Rate List (ORL) an SRB in the following rates and paygrades exclusively: BM2, CS3, and CS2.
f. Members must satisfactorily complete the term of their SRB contract in the rating for which they received the SRB. Members who fail to do so will be subject to unearned bonus repayment per REF (A).
g. No waivers will be given for members exceeding TIS requirements for the applicable zone.
h. SRBs are paid in one lump sum payment, but are earned, prorated and computed based on a member’s applicable amount of newly obligated service months.
i. SRB Amounts BM:
(1) A $20,000 Zone A SRB is authorized for BM2 members who reenlist for an additional six (6) years of active duty service obligation.
(2) A $20,000 Zone B SRB is authorized for BM2 members who reenlist for an additional six (6) years of active duty service obligation.
j. SRB Amounts CS:
(1) A $30,000 Zone A SRB is authorized for CS members in paygrades E-4 through E-6 who reenlist for an additional six (6) years of active duty service obligation.
(2) A $30,000 Zone B SRB is authorized for CS members in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) who enlist into the Regular Coast Guard under the ORL. Members are eligible for a bonus if:
(a) They are in paygrades E4 through E5; and
(b) They reenlist for four (4) years of active service obligation
k. Once all necessary SRB actions have been completed, SPO requests for SRB payment must be submitted to PPC via a Customer Care Trouble Ticket. Include member's applicable SRB Administrative Remarks, Form CG-3307 and PPC's "USCG SRB ELIGIBILITY CHECKLIST." Also attach, as applicable, PCS orders, EPM-1 Approval Memos, and COMDT (CG-1331) waivers if utilized.
a. BONUS AGREEMENTS: The only approved Bonus Agreements to be used per this ALCOAST are as follows:
(1) EB: CG Form 7220 (series) (revised on Jun 2022 or later).
(2) CSTB:CG Form 7220D (revised on Aug 2022 or later), "Critical Skills Training Bonus."
(3) CSTB BM RAP: CG Form 5305G (revised on Sep 2022 or later), "Enlistment Bonus: Boatswain Mate Rating Apprenticeship Program."
(4) CSRB: CG Form 5305J (revised on Sep 2022 or later), "Critical Skills Retention Bonus."
(5) Bonus Agreements can found on the COMDT (CG-612) Directives and Publications, CG Authorized Forms Portal site at: (Copy and Paste URL Below into Browser) https://www.dcms.uscg.mil/forms
b. Members must be fully vaccinated, or have an approved religious accommodation or medical exemption from vaccination against COVID-19, in accordance with ALCOAST 270/22, prior to payment of a bonus. Commanding Officers must verify vaccination status prior to submitting documentation to the P&A/SPO for payment processing.
c. A bonus paid to a member who had an approved religious accommodation or medical exemption to the COVID-19 vaccination mandate is subject to repayment where that member fails to become fully vaccinated within two months after the expiration of the religious accommodation or medical exemption.
d. Members must maintain physical and medical standards for continuous retention IAW REF (E).
e. Members considering appointment to the warrant or officer corps may still enlist, re-enlist, or extend their contract in one of the above mentioned ratings without electing to receive a bonus.
f. The Pay & Personnel Center (PPC) receives a high volume of bonus questions and submissions. Unanswered questions must be routed through the member's SPO before engaging PPC. Payments may take up to two (2) months from the date a member's SPO has submitted a trouble ticket to PPC. Refrain from contacting PPC about a bonus until two (2) months have elapsed from a trouble ticket's submission date. If it is not known whether a ticket has been submitted, designated yeoman should contact PPC Customer Care for investigation. If no ticket is active, submit a trouble ticket with appropriate bonus documentation.
g. COs and OICs are reminded that all members who agree to obligate service and are within the FY of their end of enlistment, or within the FY of their six (6) and ten (10) year active duty anniversary date will: (1) be counseled on their SRB eligibility; (2) have the opportunity to read REF (A) in its entirety; and (3) sign the appropriate Administrative Remarks, Form CG-3307, for their record.
h. Eligible members are reminded that they ultimately decide the length of contractual obligation and actual date of reenlistment. A reenlistment requires the member's signature acknowledging they have read and understood the terms of the contract and have had all questions answered to their satisfaction.
i. Members who previously signed contracts IAW REF (C) are prohibited from canceling their existing contract to sign a new contract to meet the requirements of this ALCOAST.
j. Members who were counseled about their SRB eligibility and signed an Administrative Remarks, Form CG-3307, entry IAW REF (C), but have not signed a reenlistment contract, are eligible to receive a bonus in accordance with this message. Members must still meet the remaining requirements of this ALCOAST and REF (A).
k. For questions, members should contact their unit counselors (typically the Command YN/CMC/SCPO/MCPO) well in advance of their reenlistment or extension date. Additional sources of information include servicing personnel officers, work-life staff, and senior Yeoman. For questions that cannot be answered after exhausting all of the above resources, the designated administrative support representative for that specific unit may contact COMDT (CG-133) at: HQS-PolicyandStandards@uscg.mil.
l. Special Assignment Considerations: Members in critical ratings are encouraged to apply for special assignment opportunities; PSC-EPM will work within each rating to ensure a proper balance is achieved between special assignments and rating needs.
8. This message will be canceled on 01 OCT 2023.
9. Questions regarding MWPT policies outlined in this message or other human resource management matters may be directed to Office of Military Personnel Policy (CG-133) at: HQS-PolicyandStandards@uscg.mil. Questions regarding Class A-Schools may be directed to CG PSC-EPM-2, at: HQS-SMB-CGPSC-EPM-ASCHOOLREQUESTS@uscg.mil.
10. COs and OICs must bring the contents of this ALCOAST to the attention of all personnel.
11. RADM B. K. Penoyer, Assistant Commandant for Human Resources (CG-1), sends.
12. Internet release is authorized.