Personnel Service Center - Business Operations Division

USCG Military Records Section



Obtaining a copy of your DD-214

How do I retrieve a copy of my DD-214 or other service records?

1. If you are a current active duty or reserve member, contact your Servicing Personnel Office for assistance.

2. Please be aware that the DD-214 is a certificate of release or discharge from active duty. It is not issued upon completion of a member's contractual reserve obligation. Only continuous active duty of 90 days or greater are authorized a DD-214.

3. If you separated or retired from the Coast Guard prior to 01 October 2006, make requests to obtain copies of DD-214's, Personnel Records, Medical & Dental Records, and Service Medals, etc. to the National Personnel Records Center. Requests may be made online by the veteran or next of kin of a deceased, former member of the military. If you are not the veteran or next of kin, complete Standard Form 180 (SF 180) and send the completed form to:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138
Commercial: (314) 801-0800


4. If you separated or retired from the Coast Guard on or after 01 October 2006, please fax a completed and signed SF-180 to 202-372-8440.



Mail to: Commander, Personnel Service Center PSC (BOPS-C-MR), United States Coast Guard Stop 7200 2703 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave SE Washington, DC 20593-7200

The Standard Form 180 (SF 180) is required for all document copy requests. Send the completed form to the address above.

5. How do I correct my DD-214?  If your DD-214 requires a correction, you will need to submit a SF-180, Request Pertaining to Military Records, along with supporting documentation to PSC (BOPS-C) at

6. If you need to change your discharge status, you will generally need to submit DD Form 293, Application for the Review of Discharge or Dismissal from the Armed Forces of the United States to the DHS Office of the General Counsel, Board for Correction of Military Records at



7. If you separated from the service and plan on filing a claim for medical benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), you do not need to request a copy of your military records from the NPRC. The VA regional office handling your case will petition both NPRC and the VA Records