About the Course
USNSEA provides an innovative blended curriculum that is ideal for E-7, E-8, and E-9 personnel who desire to progress to the next level of the Enlisted Leadership Continuum and further their professional leadership development.
This training provides a unique, quality, professional military education (PME) in a joint environment that develops stronger leaders by preparing them to fulfill their expanded and ever widening roles in the areas of leadership and management and significantly contributes to Senior Enlisted Leader development and motivation. SEA’s academic programming provides senior enlisted personnel with a solid understanding of national security strategy, joint force operations, and leadership skills. Coursework focuses on communications, management, ethics, and mission accomplishment in a global environment.
- Be an active duty Chief, Senior Chief, or Master Chief Petty Officer (E7-E9). E7 members must be time-in-rate eligible for E-8.
- Have outstanding performance documented in Direct Access.
- Be an excellent representative of the U.S. Coast Guard and present a sharp, trim, and fit military appearance.
- Be in compliance with Coast Guard and Navy weight and body fat standards.
- Be fit for full duty
- Have one year of obligated service remaining upon graduation as outlined in the Performance, Training, and Education Manual.
- Complete Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education SEJPME Course I and II.
- Successful graduation from this academy satisfies the requirements for advancement eligibility to E-8.
- Members who have previously graduated from Chief Petty Officers Academy are eligible to apply.
- This course is sponsored by the Office of Leadership, COMDT (CG-128).
How to Apply
The submission deadlines for FY18 and beyond will be posted on the Office of Leadership website.
Additional information can be found by visiting the following websites: https://usnwc.edu/senior-enlisted-academy/Program-Overview
If information is required that isn’t reflected on the websites, contact the Program Manager, MKCS Chris Wilson, at 202-475-5511 or via email Christopher.H.Wilson@uscg.mil or the CGs Liaison/Instructor, SCPO Mark Coady at firstname.lastname@example.org
- CG Memo Format
- No more than 2 pages; excluding endorsements
- 12 point text, single spaced, single sided
- Memo is from the member and addressed to the USNSEA Appointment Board
- Subject is APPLICATION FOR USNSEA
- Date of Rank
- Unit Name and Address
- Contact Numbers
- Email Address
- TIS & TIG
- Two session dates that you can attend
Describe current responsibilities and collateral duties as they relate to the supporting the Commandant’s Direction and Priorities.
Describe how you have incorporated the Coast Guard Ethos and Core Values into your everyday life, both on duty and off duty.
Describe why you believe this opportunity will help you become a more effective leader.
Required from the member’s Commanding Officer and Gold or Silver Badge, and must be submitted as a new page endorsement. Endorsements should address at a minimum:
- Why the member should be selected to attend this academy
- That the member will be an excellent CG representative
- Member’s involvement in the Chief’s Mess and Chief Petty Officer Association
- Member presents a sharp military appearance
- Member meets U.S. Navy Body Composition Assessment Standards
- Member is Time in Rate (TIR) eligible for E8
- Member is recommended for advancement on most recent Enlisted Employee Review dated:
- Member has completed Senior Enlisted Joint Military Education I and II.
- Awareness that the average time commitment for an SEA Student is 10-15 hours per week and that the chain of command fully supports the members professional development.
(2) 8x10 photo of member in TROPS; one facing forward and one facing to the side, full length
- Completed CG Personal Fitness Form (CG-6049)
All documents shall be combined and saved as a single PDF titled: Member Name USNSEA Application FY__ and emailed to the Program Manager identified above. For information on the selection process on this course, please review the signed PRECEPT.
Class Convening Dates
Online Start Date
Online Completion Date
Resident Start Date
Resident Completion Date
Class includes 2 weeks of Summer Stand down (from 02-15 JUL 18) during online phase
MKCS Chris Wilson, COMDT (CG-128), phone 202-475-5511, email Christopher.H.Wilson@uscg.mil
For additional information please visit the TQC website.