Government Travel Home      |     SATO      |     Online Travel Reservations      |     TMC Alaska      |     CITI Manager Travel Card System

Traveler Information:

Required Travel Management Center (TMC) Use
New Travel Management Center (TMC) Contract
How do I make travel Reservations?
How do I make travel Group Reservations
Scheduling Travel in Advance
PCS Travel Considerations
Traveling on DOD or OGA Orders?
Leisure Travel in Conjunction with Official Orders
City Pair Program (CPP) 48-Hour Auto Cancellation
AMTRAK Refund Policy Change
AMHS Reservation Policy Change
Fly America Act and Open Skies Agreements
TSA Pre✓™ Program
Rental Vehicle FAQ


Required Travel Management Center (TMC) Use:  All official travel (e.g. airline, bus, ship, Alaska Marine Highway System (AMHS), rental vehicle, and temporary duty lodging - see the Required-Use-of-TMC-Lodging-FAQs for more information) must be arranged through a Government Contracted TMC in accordance with the JTR/FTR, even if a non-contract fare is being purchased.  The contracted TMC for the Coast Guard is CWTSato.  Information on CWTSato, their online tools, and providing customer feedback are available by clicking on CWTSato. 

How do I make travel Reservations? 

Full Service:  Both TDY and PCS travel reservations should be made onlinehere or for Alaska click here!. However, agent support can be reached 24x7 by calling CWTSato at 800-753-7286; El Sol (USCG Alaska) 844-977-1157 or collect 210-877-3302
International travelers (calling from outside the US) can only call CWTSato using a collect call to 210-877-3302.

Full Service Notes:

(1) Tickets Charged to TONO - For reservations being charged to the Travel Order, please ensure they include authorization to use the Centrally Billed Account (CBA) within mode of travel or remarks section (i.e. Gov’t Procured Transportation Tickets (GTA), Gov’t Transportation Request (GTR), Government Air, Govt. Conveyance, Government Procured Transportation, or CBA use is authorized).   


Orders Notes: 
      a.  Orders and any pen-n-ink amendments must include the Approving Official's printed name and signature in ink.  Per DoDFMR 02-09, COMDTINST M7210.1(series), and General Accounting Office regulations for fiduciary policies along with final determination from CG-1332 - rubber stamped, facsimile and digital signatures are not authorized given the lack of a viable control process that meets the GAO requirements.


      b.  Orders must include the specific city/state of the origin and destination.  Entry of only the unit name is not acceptable. 

(2) Remote Alaska Travel - CG Personnel who will be traveling to remote locations within AK or with complicated intra-AK travel requirements, may call El Sol TMC at 844-977-1157.  All El Sol agents are capable of assisting the travelers with this type of travel and can provide assistance in obtaining full service support for lodging, rental and transportation assistance within remote Alaska areas. 

Self-Service (GTCC-holders Only):  In addition to the full service options above, travel can be arranged using CWTSato's on-line tools, ETS at a savings over the transaction fee based on the new contract rates.  For navigational help with ETS, please see the User Guide  and our CWTSato guides here.

(1) How to do I make Group Travel Reservations? 
Groups of 10 or more passengers traveling together on the same day, on the same flight, and for the same mission requiring group integrity are defined as Group Travelers.  Groups require special handling by the TMC (i.e. CWTSato) in order to choose the carrier that best meets their travel needs.  Groups of 10 or more passengers shall be booked through the carrier’s group booking procedures and follow that carrier's commercial group reservation, ticketing, and cancellation policies.  If you need to make airline travel arrangements for 10 or more members,  contact Mr. Ron Ivester: or 804-674-1199.    


Group Travel Notes: 
(a) Group Travel starts with your request for airline or motor coach space at


(b) Our subscribers submit bids for your business allowing you to decide which offer is the best solution for your needs.

(c) Once you select a vendor, our team of specialists handle all of the arrangements from start to finish.

(2) Group Bus Services - Group travel via contracted bus service is required to be procured through the CWTSato contract and not using other procurement methods.  The requestor needs to complete a Procurement Request and once received the contracting office should relay the requirements (dates, times, number of passengers, etc. to Sato's group passenger procurement and coordination service for motor coach clients.  Use the online tool at: or contact Mr. Ron Ivester; 804-674-1199.  The Group Travel Agent will provide the competitive quote to the contracting office for completion of a Purchase Order or Purchase Card transaction, depending on the vendors requirements. 

(3) Group Lodging -
  In accordance with 41 CFR Section 301-50.7 (Federal Travel Regulations) and Section 010201 of the Joint Travel Regulations, a Coast Guard employee or military member (conference planner) who is planning a large group event (such as a training course, exercise, or conference with 10 or more attendees) is authorized to negotiate directly with one or more lodging facilities to set aside a specific number of rooms for attendees, and require attendees to book lodging directly with the lodging facility.  However, the conference planner should not enter into a contract with any lodging facility that guarantees the Coast Guard will pay for a specific number of rooms, unless the conference planner is a contracting officer who is authorized to do so.  The recommended best practice for negotiating with a lodging facility is as follows:  (1) The conference planner should negotiate an agreement with the lodging facility to hold a specified number of rooms at a specified rate at or below the local lodging per diem rate until a designated date; (2) After the designated date, the lodging facility will be free to release any rooms that have not been reserved by individual attendees; (3) Individual attendees should be directed to reserve their individual room with the lodging facility under the group reservation before the designated date.  Any reservations made at another lodging facility or after the designated date shall be made through the Travel Management Center which currently is CWTSato. 

Group lodging requirements may still be procured through the CWTSato contract.  When using this option do not contact the lodging facility to reserve rooms prior to contacting CWTSato as this will cause problems with the reservation process.  The requestor needs to contact
Ms. Debi Petersen, Sato's Group Lodging & Meeting Coordinator 800-736-6338 (opt 4) or email,   The Group Travel Agent will provide the competitive quote to the event planner for travel card purchases or the contracting office for completion of a Purchase Order. 

Top of page

Scheduling Travel in Advance: Do you know that depending on the type of ticket purchased, ticketing and therefore payment may be required immediately upon making the reservation?  This is not the case with city-pair contract fares (-YCA and –CA fares) which is one of the advantages of these fares.  But, if the cardholder is required to book a non-city pair fare which requires advance ticketing, we recommend the traveler seek a travel advance through the routine processes if the travel and reimbursement will not be completed within the same billing cycle as the airfare charge.  This advance, applied to the GTCC account, will prevent any late payments which could result in disciplinary action.    

PCS Travel Considerations a.  Both the JTR (033301) and the TMC/CWTSATO contract prohibit a CBA or GTR/GTA ticket from being issued for leisure travel in conjunction with official travel.  This is true even for PCS moves.  A GTR for dependents can only be issued from PDS to PDS.  The only exception would be if the travel including pickup and driving of a shipped vehicle for OCONUS transfers. 

b.  Reminder that the traveler cannot use the Government Travel Card for the purchase of tickets if the PCS duration exceeds 15 days per COMDTINST M4600.18. 

The travel card shall not be used for the family's tickets since it is not authorized for use for anyone other than the cardholder per COMDTINST M4600.18.
Alaska Marine Highway System (AMHS) and Personally Procured Moves:  Movement of a trailer (boat, camper, U-Haul) is not a reimbursable travel expense.  In addition, CG-1332 has made the determination that an RV/motor home would not be an authorized vehicle for ferry travel.  An RV is a motorized wheeled vehicle used for camping or other recreational activities, and is not used primarily for personal transportation.  This same logic applies to large U-Haul type moving trucks since they are primarily used for transporting property and not personal transportation.  Therefore, transportation costs of these items on the AMHS are not authorized to be charged to the Centrally Billed Account (CBA) or the member’s Individually Billed Account (IBA).  These would be considered part of a Do It Yourself (DITY) move and reimbursable under a separate process.  Travelers should ticket these items separate from their authorized POV, pay for them using personal funds and then seek reimbursement. 

Traveling on DOD or OGA Orders?  If a CG member is issued a set of temporary duty DOD orders with a DOD TONO and line of accounting there are several specific issues that the AO and the traveler need to be aware of to avoid problems.  Click here for more information.   

Leisure Travel in Conjunction with Official Orders.  Planning to combine some leisure travel with your official trip, please review our Leisure In Conjunction With Official (LICWO)Travel – FAQ Sheet prior to making any reservations.   

Top of page

City Pair Program (CPP) 48-Hour Auto Cancellation.  As part of the FY13 GSA City Pair contract airlines may cancel any reservation not ticketed within 48-hours of the scheduled departure.  Click here for the GSA FAQ Sheet on the 48-Hour Auto Cancellation.  A GSA developed 48-Hour Auto Cancellation Briefing is also available to further explain this change.  Lastly, travelers can also review the current Airline Cancellation Matrix provided by GSA. 

To avoid ticketing problems and potential cancellation of the reservation, travelers must ensure that their travel card is not expired, has been activated and has the credit limit set high enough to cover the ticket cost.  Your local
Travel Manager can assist you with adjusting your credit limit. 

Travelers who will be using the centrally billed account (i.e. GTR or charged to TONO travel) need to ensure the orders specifically state that "Use of the Centrally Billed Account is authorized" prior to faxing them to ADTRAV.   

AMTRAK Refund Policy Change.  Effective 12 Aug 12, AMTRAK changed their refund policy.  Click here for complete details.   

AMHS Reservation Policy Change.  Effective 1 Oct 2015, the Alaska Marine Highway System (AMHS) ferry system changed their reservation policy and added non-refundable cancelation fees. 

UPDATE - Per the AMHS letter to the CGD17 Commander on 21 Dec 2015  an exception for military members seeking to make reservations for official Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders was provided. 

Reservations without signed PCS Orders (more than 60 days ahead of travel) - Member's who are PCSing into or out of AK and desire to use the AMHS should call the AMHS Juneau Reservations Central Office at 1-800-642-0066 in order to complete the reservation. AMHS will hold the desired reservation until 60 days prior to the sailing date without payment. At 60 days before the sailing date, unless other arrangements are made by the military member, unpaid reservations will be automatically canceled to allow AMHS to sell that space in an effort to improve our capacity utilization.  If there is anything on the  itinerary that is not authorized on the travel orders  (pet, trailer, etc.), the member must call AMHS after completing the transaction with CWTSATO on the same day  to make the rest of the payment on a personal credit card.

Reservations with signed PCS Orders  - If travel is within 60 days or if you have not made reservations prior to receiving your signed PCS orders, the following process should be used.  AMHS advised that payment needs to be made the same day the reservation is made. Therefore, USCG travelers should not contact AMHS directly for reservations.  Travelers should load the travel orders into ETS and then wait 30 to 60 minutes before calling CWTSATO to make their AMHS reservations/booking.   Travel orders will no longer require the AMHS itinerary numbers be listed. 

Cancellation Penalties.  Cancellation penalties now apply to all reservations (USCG is no longer excluded):  
     *     Within 24 hours of booking – No penalty
     *     Greater than 30 days from sailing – 5% penalty
     *     15 – 30 days from sailing – 10% penalty
     *     7 – 14 days from sailing – 20% penalty
     *     1 – 6 days from sailing – 30% penalty
     *     Within 24 hours of sailing or a no show – 40% penalty  

Change Fees.  Reservation Change fees are applicable only if the itinerary decreases in value. Fees are applicable as follows:  
     *     Within 24 hours of booking – No fee
     *     Greater than 30 days from sailing – 5% fee on decrease in value
     *     15 – 30 days from sailing – 10% fee on decrease in value
     *     7 – 14 days from sailing – 20% fee on decrease in value
     *     1 – 6 days from sailing – 30% fee on decrease in value
     *     Within 24 hours from sailing – 40% fee on decrease in value

Fly America Act and Open Skies Agreements.  Active duty members of the USCG traveling OCONUS will follow the (JTR) Fly America Act provisions only.  As such, CWTSATO should book these travelers on US Flag carriers using any routings that allows CWTSATO to get the traveler to their destination.  If a US Flag carrier is not available or does not meet the member’s mission requirements, the traveler is required to obtain approval of an exemption on their orders per U3525 of the JTR and the orders authorizing the exemption must be supplied to CWTSATO before that ticket could be issued.

For civilian members of the USCG following the FTR, Open Skies Agreements apply.  ADTRAV can route these members on the most logical routings to get their OCONUS destination, using American carriers where they can.  However if there is not an American carrier in the market or the routing is not logical and does not meet mission requirements, Open Skies apply and no waiver is necessary to book the foreign flag provided they are covered by an existing Open Skies Agreement.  

TSA Pre-Check ™ Program.  TSA Pre is a voluntary, expedited security screening process that allows participants to keep on their shoes, belt, and light jacket, and leave laptops and 3-1-1 compliant liquids in their carry-on bags.  Please click here for complete details on the program, availability, and actions required for participation.  You can also check out the TSA FAQ on the program at

TSA Pre-Check, MilConnect & Frequent Flier Program Data Requirements:  In addition to ensuring that the DOD ID number is properly entered within your ADTRAV Travel Profile, travelers also need to ensure the following actions are completed to gain the full benefit of the TSA Pre-Check program:  

     a.  Frequent Flier Programs – For any enrolled frequent flier programs, travelers need to ensure that the name on the airline frequent flier program matches the name on their ADTRAV Profile and that the DOD ID number is entered within the specific airlines frequent flier program, if they have a field for this data to be entered.   

     b.  DOD MilConnect – Within the DOD MilConnect application, there is a toggle that enables the TSA Pre-Check program to function.  The MilConnect site can be accessed at via a Common Access Card (CAC) enabled computer.  Once on the site use the CAC Logon Option.  Once logged on click on the “My Profile” tab and select the “Update and View My Profile” pull down menu option and then select the appropriate CAC card Tab (ex:  CIV).  Towards the bottom of this page there is a TSA Pre-Check Program box that must be checked for the program to function properly. 

Rental Vehicle FAQ.  Want to know how to rent a vehicle for official travel, why you should use CWTSato and your Government Travel Charge Card, and what to do if you are in an accident.  Check out the Rental Vehicle FAQ sheet. 

Top of page