FY22 JSOFSEA sessions are closed. Applications may still be submitted, and will be reviewed; as late training year opportunities may open.
About the Course
JSOFSEA is an eight-month, blended (online & resident) learning course. Phase 1 is fully online and facilitated by a distance learning team over six months (181 hours of education). Resident instructors conduct Phase 2 for eight weeks (40 academic days, 426.5 hours of instruction and collaborative learning) at JSOU’s main campus at MacDill AFB in Tampa, FL.
JSOFSEA’s curriculum prepares the JSOFSEA leader to be an effective and strategic leader in the Joint Special Operations Forces environment. The main theme for this course is to provide students with the Joint Senior Enlisted Leadership perspective through each of the Key Lessons, which are Joint Communications, Organizational Management, Strategy, and Force Development.
- Active duty E-8 or E-9 effectively performing as a senior enlisted leader. EAD Reservists will be considered if filling an active duty billet in support of DSF or Joint Forces Missions.
- Have outstanding performance (EERs) documented in Direct Access.
- Have two or more years remaining at current assignment.
- Be a graduate of the Chief Petty Officers Academy (CPOACAD) or approved DOD Senior Enlisted Academy.
- Be an excellent representative of the U.S. Coast Guard and present a sharp, trim, and fit military appearance.
- Be in compliance with Coast Guard weight and body fat standards.
- Be fit for full duty, capable of participating in physical fitness activities and able to pass the Coast Guard’s Boat Crew Physical Fitness Test.
- Be actively involved in the Chiefs Mess.
- Applicants must be willing and able to obligate service or have the required years of service remaining on their current enlistment as of the completion date of the class as outlined in Chapter 8 Section A.4.b of the Performance, Training, and Education Manual, COMDTINST M1500.10. High Year Tenure (HYT) candidates should not apply for this course.
- Possess a current SECRET security clearance.
- Not required, but highly recommended members complete the online Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education (SEJPME) I and II prior to start of distant learning phase. SEJPME can be accessed through the following web link: https://jkodirect.jten.mil/Atlas2/page/desktop/DesktopHome.jsf
- CG Memo Format
- No more than 2 pages; excluding endorsements
- 12 point text, single spaced, single sided
- Memo is from the member and addressed to the JSOFSEA Appointment Board
- Subject is APPLICATION FOR JSOFSEA
- Date of Rank
- Unit Address
- Contact Numbers
- Email Address
- TIS & TIG
- Desired Class/Session Number (members should be prepared and willing to attend any of the available convenings)
- PFT results and Body Composition Information
Describe current responsibilities and collateral duties as they relate to the supporting the Commandant’s Direction and Priorities.
Describe how you contribute to the Chief’s Mess through your active involvement and participation and describe how you have incorporated the Coast Guard Ethos and Core Values into your everyday life, both on duty and off duty.
Describe why you believe this opportunity will help you become a more effective leader.
- That the member will be an excellent CG representative
- Member presents a sharp military appearance
- Member is fit for full duty, meets CG weight requirements and can pass the Coast Guard’s Boat Crew Fitness Test
- Member’s involvement in the Chief’s Mess
- Why the member should be selected to attend this academy
(2) 8x10 photo of member in TROPS; one facing forward and one facing to the side, full length
Applications are reviewed by the MCPOCG. If a positive endorsement is received, the member will be enrolled in Direct Access by the Program Manager to attend.
**All documents shall be combined and saved as a single PDF titled: Member Name JSOFSEA Application FY__ and emailed to the Program Manager identified below.** For information on the selection process on this course, please review the signed PRECEPT.
Class Convening Dates
FY20 sessions: TBD
MKCS Chris Wilson, COMDT (CG-128), phone 202-475-5511, email Christopher.H.Wilson@uscg.mil
For additional information please visit the TQC website.