About the Course
JSOFSEA is an eight-month, blended (online & resident) learning course. Phase 1 is fully online and facilitated by a distance learning team over six months (181 hours of education). Resident instructors conduct Phase 2 for eight weeks (40 academic days, 426.5 hours of instruction and collaborative learning) at JSOU’s main campus at MacDill AFB in Tampa, FL.
This course enhances the critical thinking of senior enlisted leaders (SEL) as they grow their knowledge base in the strategic and operational realm. Students gain valuable knowledge and experience to successfully lead in the joint, interagency, intergovernmental, and multinational (JIIM) environment. This course develops students for operational and strategic level positions across a broad range of joint and special operations assignments.
Designed for nominated special operations forces (SOF) operators, select SOF enabling specialties, and noncommissioned officers (E8-E9) from active component U.S. SOF, reserve component U.S. SOF, U.S. conventional forces, and U.S. interagency partners.
JSOU is currently an accredited educational institution accredited through the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education & Training (ACCET) - a national accrediting agency recognized by the Department of Education. This course has been reviewed and accredited.
- Active duty E-8 or E-9 effectively performing as a senior enlisted leader. EAD Reservists will be considered if filling an active duty billet in support of DSF or Joint Forces Missions.
- Have outstanding performance (EERs) documented in Direct Access.
- Have two or more years remaining at current assignment.
- Be a graduate of the Chief Petty Officers Academy (CPOACAD) or approved DOD Senior Enlisted Academy.
- Be an excellent representative of the U.S. Coast Guard and present a sharp, trim, and fit military appearance.
- Be in compliance with Coast Guard weight and body fat standards.
- Be fit for full duty, capable of participating in physical fitness activities and able to pass the Coast Guard’s Boat Crew Physical Fitness Test.
- Be actively involved in the Chiefs Mess.
- Applicants must be willing and able to obligate service or have the required years of service remaining on their current enlistment as of the completion date of the class as outlined in Chapter 8 Section A.4.b of the Performance, Training, and Education Manual, COMDTINST M1500.10. High Year Tenure (HYT) candidates should not apply for this course.
- Possess a current SECRET security clearance.
- Not required, but highly recommended that members complete the online Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education (EJPME) II prior to start of distant learning phase. EJPME II can be accessed through the following web link: Registering_EJPME_courses.pdf (jcs.mil)
Submissions are due Nov. 17, 2023
Application Formatting Requirements
- CG Memo Format
- No more than 2 pages; excluding endorsements
- 12 point text, single spaced, single sided
- Memo is from the member and addressed to the JSOFSEA Appointment Board
- Subject is APPLICATION FOR JSOFSEA
- All documents shall be combined and saved as a single PDF titled: Member Name JSOFSEA Application FY__ and emailed to the Program Manager identified below.**
- Date of Rank
- Unit Address
- Contact Numbers
- Email Address
- TIS & TIG
- Desired Class/Session Number (members should be prepared and willing to attend any of the available convenings)
- PFT results and Body Composition Information
Describe current responsibilities and collateral duties as they relate to the supporting the Commandant’s Intent and Priorities.
Describe how you contribute to the Chief’s Mess through your active involvement and participation and describe how you have incorporated the Coast Guard Core Values into your everyday life, both on duty and off duty.
Describe why you believe this opportunity will help you become a more effective leader.
- That the member will be an excellent CG representative
- Member presents a sharp military appearance
- Member is fit for full duty, meets CG weight requirements and can pass the Coast Guard’s Boat Crew Fitness Test
- Member’s involvement in the Chief’s Mess
- Why the member should be selected to attend this academy
Application Review & Enrollment Process
Applications are reviewed by the MCPOCG. If a positive endorsement is received, the member will be enrolled in Direct Access by the Program Manager to attend.
Class Convening Dates
|3-Jan-24 to 16-Jun-24
|8-Jul-24 to 23-Aug-24
|1-Apr-24 to 13-Sep-24
|30-Sep-24 to 21-Nov-24
SCPO Joe Hoff, email email@example.com