Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA)
TLA is an allowance intended to partially pay members for the more than normal expenses incurred while occupying temporary lodging OCONUS.
Reporting to Kodiak
1. TLA upon reporting should not exceed 60 days. If the need for TLA is going to exceed 60 days, please contact the Base Kodiak TLA office for counseling.
2. TLA authorization begins upon reporting to the Permanent Duty Station, which should coincide with the day of arrival to Kodiak. TLA is not payable while “en route.” The day of arrival to Kodiak is a travel day. Meals and incidentals will be claimed at the 75% rate on the PCS travel claim. Lodging for the first night will be claimed on the TLA claim.
3. Members TDY to Base, en route to a cutter, TDY per diem applies for the active duty member, not TLA. However, dependents are eligible for TLA. Lodging costs are split 50/50. Member will claim 50% on the PCS travel claim, and dependents will claim 50% on the TLA claim.
4. TLA authorization ends the final day of occupancy in temporary lodging or the day a member occupies permanent quarters. This is regardless of whether or not HHG’s have been delivered. However, members are not required to occupy permanent quarters if HHGs delivery is not available. Members may not delay delivery of HHGs when delivery is available.
Departing from Kodiak
1. Upon departure, TLA authorization begins on the first HHG pack date, not to exceed 10 days prior to departure from Kodiak. Situations outside of the member’s control may result in an extension. This must be pre-approved by Base Kodiak Transportation.
2. The day of checkout from the temporary lodging facility is a travel day.
3. Members TDY to Base, en route to the next PDS, TDY per diem applies for the active duty member, not TLA. However, dependents are eligible for TLA. Lodging costs are split 50/50. Member will claim 50% on the PCS travel claim, and dependents will claim 50% on the TLA claim.
4. Members retiring or separating are authorized TLA prior to departure. Members who retire or separate and choose to remain in the PDS area and depart at a later date are not authorized TLA.
The following documents can be dropped off with Base Kodiak Transportation or emailed to D17-SMB-BaseKodiak-P-BaseKodiakTLA@uscg.mil. If assigned to the Air Station Kodiak or a cutter, please route through the unit admin.
- TLA Application (Please make a note on the claim if it is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or final, etc…)
- Copy of endorsed PCS orders
- Itemized, zero balance lodging receipt (if staying with friends, must provide name, phone number, and address)
- Ferry or flight itinerary
- DD-1299 (to show HHG pack/pickup date for departures only)
Daily M&IE and Lodging Ceiling Percentages
Service member or one dependent (total one person) 65%
Service member and one dependent, or two dependents (total two persons) 100%
For each additional dependent age 12 and over add 35%
For each additional dependent under age 12 add 25%
Note: If the temporary lodging (including Guest House) or RV has full cooking facilities (stove, sink, refrigerator, cooking utensils), then M&IE is reduced to 50% of the locality rate (multiplied by the above percentages).
Note: If staying with friends or relatives, M&IE is the full locality rate (multiplied by the above percentages).
Once a claim is reviewed, members receive a notification e-mail. The status of a claim can be found at FINCEN’s webpage: https://cgweb.fincen.uscg.mil/tla/index2.htm.
Please have the following information readily available:
- Last Name
- TONO (16 characters)
- Begin Date: MM/DD/YY (format)
Traditionally, FINCEN takes approximately 4-6 weeks to pay out claims. If monies are not received within four weeks, please contact Base Kodiak Transportation. We will gladly send a follow up request to the Finance Center.
Base Kodiak TLA Guidance
For specific questions, counseling, or reimbursement estimates please email the Base Kodiak Transportation Office at D17-SMB-BaseKodiak-P-BaseKodiakTLA@uscg.mil.