This topic provides the PSI data entry technician with general information and links to step-by-step procedures to properly record entitlement to Assignment Incentive Pay for Cutters Undergoing Maintenance Periods.
The information in this topic is provided to help you familiarize you with Assignment Incentive Pay for Cutters Undergoing Maintenance Periods (AIP-CMP) entitlement rules and terms. This information is only introductory. Refer to the references list below for official guidance on this entitlement.
AIP-CMP is a special pay intended to encourage active duty military personnel to volunteer for cutter assignments by providing a monetary incentive to compensate members during lengthy cutter maintenance periods when CSP would normally stop. COMDT (CG-1332) designates Coast Guard units for AIP-CMP purposes.
Assignment Incentive Pay for Cutters Undergoing Maintenance Periods (AIP-CMP) is a special pay. AIP-CMP may be paid to active duty officers and enlisted members entitled to Basic Pay under 37 U.S.C. Section 204 - Entitlement, including Reservists on active duty who are permanently assigned to a career sea pay (CSP) eligible cutter, and whose CSP has been stopped in conjunction with a lengthy cutter maintenance period, such as SLEP, MMA, etc.
AIP-CMP is authorized effective October 1, 2022.
In relation to other pays, AIP-CMP is:
- Not payable for any period for which a member is paid CSP;
- Aside from 1 above, payable in addition to any pay, allowance, special pay, incentive pay, or any other monetary benefit to which the member might otherwise be entitled;
AIP-CMP is taxable income for federal and state tax purposes, but is not subject to Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) Tax.
Computation of Lump-Sum Leave, Retired Pay, Bonuses, Continuation Pay, Separation Pay, or Disability Severance Pay
AIP-CMP is not included in the computation of sale or settlement of unused accrued leave, Retired Pay, reenlistment bonus, Continuation Pay, Separation Pay, or Disability Severance Pay.
AIP-CMP Start Date
AIP-CMP starts on the date of the COMDT (CG-1332) decision memo authorizing the designated unit, or the date after the member's CSP has stopped due to absence from the cutter resulting from a cutter maintenance period as designated by COMDT (CG-1332), whichever is later. AIP-CMP may not be paid retroactively.
AIP-CMP Stop Date
AIP-CMP stops the date prior to the date the member's CSP is restarted, or the date prior to the date a member:
- Is discharged or released from active duty;
- Is confined as a result of a court-martial sentence;
- Is absent without leave, with AIP-CMP restarted upon return from such absence;
- Departs on a permanent change of station (PCS) order from an assignment where AIP-CMP is authorized, in which case AIP-CMP stops the day prior to the date of departure from the assignment; or
- Departs the vicinity of a unit for which AIP-CMP is authorized, with no expectation of return prior to separation or retirement (e.g., leave or administrative absence).
Effective October 1, 2022, the monthly rate of AIP-CMP is $200.
Commandant (CG-1) may adjust payment levels based Service needs.
Authorization and termination of designated units will be communicated via decision memo.
Changes to monthly payment rates will be announced via ALCOAST.
The portion of the month in which AIP-CMP starts or stops will be prorated. The 31st day of a month is not countable under any circumstances.
Procedures for entering AIP-CMP are contained in the Assignment Incentive Pay SPO/PSI user guide. The guide can be accessed via the Direct-Access User Guides web page, in the SPO/PSI Pay section.