U. S. Coast Guard Pay & Personnel Center

click for guides
click for guides

Subscribe for updates via e-Mail

Subscribers to this list will receive notices and information on Coast Guard travel policy and procedures. Subscribers will also be notified of both scheduled and unscheduled outages affecting the TPAX travel claim liquidation system. Additionally, subscribers will be updated when important information is posted to the Pay and Personnel Center's web site.

Click to subscribe

Contact Us

Mailing address:

Commanding Officer (Staff Symbol)
U.S. Coast Guard 
Pay & Personnel Center
444 S. E. Quincy St.
Topeka, KS 66683-3591


(866) 772-8724
(785) 339-2200




Direct Access Direct-Access
Log on to TPAXWeb-TPAX
https://webtpax.osc.uscg.mil/ (copy and paste into address bar, must be on a CG Workstation. Web-Tpax cannot be accessed via the internet)

Feedback button Portal Login

customer care Blended Retirement System Information

Travel (TVL) Branch

Evacuation Travel Voucher Assistance

Travel Newsletter / Hurricane / Evacuation Order Guidance 2018

Just released: Natural Disaster Guide

A new Natural Disaster Guide for Military has been released to give Coast Guard employees and their families a quick reference for travel entitlements associated with evacuation, mobilization, and deployment. It also provides best practices for hurricane preparation at home. The guide can be found at: https://www.dcms.uscg.mil/Portals/10/CG-1/cg133/pdf/Natural_Disaster_Guide.pdf.

Guidance for Coast Guard Evacuating Units

File in Adobe Acrobat formatPrint this article

Tip! Bulk Evacuation Orders and Claims

With the recent evacuations on the east coast due to Hurricane Florence, CWO2 Jennifer Brown, CG Sector Delaware Bay, provided updated instructions and examples on how to process bulk evacuation orders and dependent travel claims. The "zip" file below contains the necessary files and instructions for using MS Word's "Mail Merge" function to take information from a spreadsheet and automatically populate the required fields on travel orders and travel claims forms.

Evacuation Mail Merge Files (.zip)

Preparedness for unusual or emergency circumstances (e.g. hurricane season, flash flooding or wildfires) requires a review of evacuation allowances as well as the evacuation travel claim submission process. This overview is intended to summarize the important points but not replace guidance provided by the references listed below. If you have any questions please contact your travel manager or travel Authorizing /Approving Official (AO).


Evacuation Terms: Allowances are provided to evacuees based upon the temporary or permanent nature of the evacuation event:

Evacuations are the authorized/ordered movement from a specific CONUS or OCONUS area, when authorized/ordered by the Area/District Commander or CG-1332. The evacuation order may specify evacuation from specific local evacuation zones (see Evacuation Claim Scenarios Appendix).

Limited Evacuations are the authorized/ordered movement from a CONUS residence to the nearest available accommodations when authorized/ordered by the Area/District Commander or CG-1332.

Safe Havens are separate journey locations anywhere in the world named in evacuation orders as destinations for temporary relocation from a member’s evacuated PDS or employee’s primary worksite to specific localities, areas or as a specific distance radius. If CONUS is the named safe haven in the evacuation order then an evacuee, upon arrival at the CONUS Port of Debarkation (POD), must select the exact CONUS safe haven location to which they are traveling at Gov’t expense. This location must be included on the travel orders. DLA is not authorized.

Designated Places are separate journey locations that evacuees select within the range of possible locations allowed as the place where they should establish a permanent residence when the Area/District Commander or CG-1332 determines that return to the Active Duty Member’s evacuated PDS or Civilian Employee’s primary worksite should not take place or is not expected to take place in the near future. This location must be included on the travel orders. If evacuees are already at a safe haven then the orders must also include the end date of safe haven allowances. DLA is authorized. Fiscal year prohibition does not apply.

Evacuation Orders determine eligible dependents. The decision of the local civil official to evacuate an area is not sufficient to reimburse evacuation entitlement. Message, memo or oral evacuation orders from the Area/District Commander or CG-1332 provide the authorized beginning date and termination (if known) date, event location, units involved, safe haven or designated place. Please copy PPC Travel on all message traffic concerning both the official evacuation order and evacuation termination.

Evacuation Travel Orders are issued by an AO to Active Duty Member dependents, Civilian Employees and Civilian Employee Dependents based upon the information provided in the evacuation order. The evacuation applies to dependents residing in the vicinity of the member's PDS, authorized designated location or employee primary worksite. Evacuations also apply to dependents residing in the vicinity of an Active Duty Member's prior PDS or dependents en route to establish a residence with the member. If a specific evacuation zone is indicated in the evacuation order then the evacuee’s residence must be located in that zone. Evacuees located at non-foreign or foreign OCONUS evacuated locations must be command-sponsored to receive evacuation allowances.

PDS Vicinity is defined separately for a PDS CONUS or OCONUS and determines evacuation allowance eligibility based on the location of the dependent residence.

OCONUS PDS vicinity is defined under JTR Table 6-13:

(1)  A dependent is residing in the foreign location or non-foreign location OCONUS within which the PDS is located.

(2)  A Service member resides with the dependent in an area OCONUS and commutes to the PDS from a place located in an adjacent country.

 CONUS PDS vicinity is to be defined according to PDS local area under JTR, par. 0206:

(1)  The area within the PDS limits and the metropolitan area around the PDS served by the local public transit systems.

(2)  The local commuting area as determined by the AO or local Service or DoD Agency.

(3)  The separate cities, towns, or installations among which the public commutes on a daily basis.

*The AO should submit issues through the trouble ticket process.

Travel and Transportation:

Active Duty Members ordered to evacuate must be TDY or PCS. TDY may be authorized within the PDS limits for emergency circumstances if eligibility is met as per JTR, par. 020602. Reserve Component Members who are not on active duty are not authorized evacuation or TDY orders.

Active Duty Member Dependents ordered to evacuate will travel under their own evacuation travel orders and are authorized transportation the same as that authorized for PCS. POV transportation is reimbursed at the Other Rate (PCS mileage rate). To identify eligible evacuees please see JTR, par. 060201 and Table 6-4.

Civilian Employees (Including NAF, PHS and NOAA but not contractors) ordered to evacuate will travel under evacuation travel orders and are authorized transportation the same as that authorized for TDY. POV transportation is reimbursed at the TDY mileage rate. Employees may be placed on TDY orders by their unit to report for duty at a location other than their safe haven.

Civilian Employee Dependents ordered to evacuate will travel under evacuation travel orders and are authorized transportation the same as that authorized for TDY. POV transportation is reimbursed at the TDY mileage rate. Eligible dependents are defined under 5 CFR §550.402 and FTR §300-3.

Escorts may accompany dependents incapable of traveling alone. Active Duty Members travel TDY as an escort under the JTR. Civilian Employees travel TDY as an escort under the FTR. Any other persons as escorts are issued an Invitational Travel Authorization (ITA) (see COMDTINST 12570.3 (series)) and reimbursed TDY under the FTR. Escorts who are normally not eligible to claim evacuation payments on behalf of an evacuee cannot claim or be reimbursed for dependent travel.

Safe Haven reimbursement applies to days while at the safe haven not travel days. Government mess availability/use has no effect on per diem allowances for dependents. Standard CONUS Rate is a rate reimbursed to Active Duty Member Dependents who travel (even OCONUS) to a location other than the authorized safe haven without approval. Initial travel to the safe haven followed by travel to a non-authorized location is reimbursed at the initial safe haven rate with transportation NTE to/from the authorized safe haven. There is no provision to reimburse evacuation allowances to Civilian Employees and their dependents who don’t travel to an authorized safe haven. Evacuation allowances terminate after 180 days unless specified by the District Commander or CG-1332. If evacuees are directed to move to another safe haven, the 180 day clock will restart. Safe Haven allowances terminate on the date as per JTR, pars. 060107-B or 060207-B whichever comes first.

Designated Place arrival causes safe haven allowances to immediately terminate once a permanent residence is established. When an evacuee is located at the designated place and a permanent residence has not been established then safe haven allowances at the authorized rate may continue for up to 30 days after arrival.

ADTRAV the USCG Travel Management Center (TMC) may charge dependent transportation tickets to the centrally billed account (CBA) using the travel order. It is mandatory to arrange transportation and lodging through ADTRAV per ALCGPSC 067/18. The toll free ADTRAV phone number is: 1-855-576-4781. Use of the government travel charge card (GTCC) for dependents is not authorized and would constitute misuse.

Dependents Age 12 and Over are given the same per diem as an Active Duty Member on a TDY at the rate of 100% for the first 30 days. On the 31st day, the per diem rate drops to 60% of the full rate.

Dependents Under 12 are given an amount limited to one half of what an Active Duty Member traveling on a TDY receives at the rate of 50% for the first 30 days. On the 31st day, the per diem rate drops to 30% of the full rate.

Local Travel and Miscellaneous Expenses: 

  • Active Duty Member Dependents are authorized local travel allowance paid at a rate of $25.00 per day, per family only if the dependent has not taken delivery of a POV or did not drive a POV to the safe haven. No receipts are required. This may not be paid for any day reimbursed a rented motor vehicle. There is no provision for local travel allowance reimbursement to Civilian Employees and their dependents.
  • If an evacuation travel claim contains more than one dependent, the lodging “cap” increases by the appropriate percentage. (e.g. one dependent over 12 + one dependent under 12 = 150% X lodging locality rate). CONUS tax is paid as a reimbursable expense.     
  • Civilian Employees/Dependents and Active Duty Member Dependents are not authorized miscellaneous TDY reimbursable expenses unless specified by regulation as they are in an evacuation status.
  • Active Duty Member Dependents are limited to the free checkable baggage the carrier allows. Excess accompanied baggage must be authorized/approved by the AO on orders.
  • Active Duty Members are authorized up to 2 household pet’s transportation and quarantine reimbursement from a foreign PDS as per JTR, par. 060204. Foreign area and foreign country is defined under JTR, APP. A as any area or country outside the 50 States, District of Columbia, the Commonwealths of Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, and U.S. territories and possessions.
  • An Active Duty Member who is TDY and takes leave to travel at personal expense to the safe haven where the dependent is evacuated, may be eligible for a lodging allowance if the Active Duty Member meets all of the following criteria:
    • Has an order to the TDY location for 31 or more days.
    • Receive per diem while at the TDY location to cover TDY lodging expenses because Government Quarters are not available at no cost to the Service member.
    • Return to the TDY location immediately after completing the authorized leave.

Claim Submission:

  • There are a few ways that evacuation travel claims may be submitted: 
  • The Active Duty Member sponsor, Civilian Employee sponsor or their full signature proxy submits the evacuation travel claim in TPAX (Recommended). A guide for completing Evacuation Travel Claims in Web-TPAX has is available.
  • The Active Duty Member sponsor or Civilian Employee sponsor mails the evacuation travel claim manually.  Ensure the sponsor and AO signed 1351-2 form. The packet must include required receipts and AO signed evacuation travel orders.
  • A complete manual evacuation travel claim packet in PDF form is submitted by the AO to PPC Travel from the AO’s USCG.mil e-mail account to the Travel Support Team email program per PPPM Ch. 2-J. There are specific guidelines for this type of submission. AOs must follow these guidelines or risk exclusion from the program. AO questions may be addressed through the trouble ticket process. 
  • It is recommended that evacuation travel claims be submitted in TPAX. Manual claims must indicate in remarks whether travel is claimed for member/employee and dependents or for the dependents only. The dependent spouse or Active Duty Member’s dependent age 18 or older may claim dependent travel. The travel order must include the sponsor’s name and EMPLID, claimant’s name, SSN and relationship to the sponsor, dependent’s date of birth (DOB), spouse date of marriage (DOM), evacuation dates (may not yet include an end date), safe haven or designated place (may include a NTE distance radius) and AO signature when claiming evacuation travel reimbursement. The TONO for evacuations can be an 11 or 13 document type. Blanket orders are not authorized. When the evacuation is expected to exceed 21 days and incremental claims must be submitted they may be issued a doc-type 13.
  • All advances including travel debit cards or previous payments associated with an evacuation travel claim must be disclosed in block 9 of the 1351-2 claim form upon submission in order to avoid overpayment. To verify travel advance payments please visit the Coast Guard Finance Center Travel Payment Application at:  https://cg.portal.uscg.mil/units/fincen/SitePages/Travel.aspx.
  • If the traveler is overpaid, PPC will mail a debt letter to the address provided on the Travel Voucher DD-1351-2. The traveler has 30 days from the date of the letter to make payment in full, or the indebtedness will be referred to the U.S Treasury for collection.
  • Please mail manual claims to:

Evacuation Travel Claims

Commanding Officer (TVL/TST)
U.S. Coast Guard
Pay & Personnel Center
444 S.E. Quincy St.
Topeka KS 66683-3591

Please allow an additional ten business days for the Finance Center to issue the payment once the claim is process by PPC Travel.

*NOTE: Any AO has permission to check the status of a claim through TPAX.

Some Common Issues:

  1. Duplicate or incorrect TONO
  2. No SSN for dependent making the claim
  3. Dependent does not reside in the vicinity of the sponsor member/employee PDS/Primary worksite area
  4. Claimant names must be annotated the same on all claims (e.g. hyphenated last names)
  5. Not including on the 1351-2 block 9 all advances, travel debit cards and prior payments
  6. All dates of birth on travel orders for dependents claimed to have traveled
  7. Travel claim itineraries provided as they were actually performed


 Additional information may be found on the PPC Travel website at: https://www.dcms.uscg.mil/ppc/travel/

 *Please see your AO for questions or assistance regarding evacuation travel claim issues

Listed below are examples of the Dependent Evacuation Documents.

If you require additional guidance and/or further assistance contact your AO. If further assistance is required your AO should contact PPC Customer Care either by calling 785-339-2200 or 1-866-772-8724  or by completing the on-line trouble ticket form.

  • PPC Customer Care: (785) 339-2200
  • CG Travelers calling from home: 1-866-PPC-USCG(772-8724).

Coast Guard Pay & Personnel Center
Travel Branch 
444 S.E. Quincy Street
Federal Bldg.
Topeka, KS 66683-3591

File in Adobe Acrobat formatPrint this article

   Updated  ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 ‎1‎:‎42‎:‎50‎ ‎PM