Individual Ready Reserve (IRR)


Members in the IRR, ASL or ISL are administratively assigned to RPM, unless approved to Drill for Points Only (DFPO) or on active duty orders. RPM-3 performs all command and SPO functions for IRR, ASL and ISL members assigned to RPM. While assigned to the IRR, ASL or ISL, members have specific requirements they must perform to be considered satisfactory participants. All members should become familiar with the IRR and Standby Reserve Member Guide and the applicable requirements in the Reserve Policy Manual (CIM 1001.28). A vast majority of required tasks while in the IRR, ASL or ISL can and should be performed electronically by using self service modules in Direct Access (IRR and ASL only) or by emailing the RPM-3 Servicing Personnel Office (SPO) at:

If you prefer to mail documents to RPM-3, our mailing address is:

2703 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave SE, Mailstop 7200
Washington, DC 20593-7200

IRR and Standby Reserve (ASL/ISL) Member Guide

The IRR and Standby Reserve Member Guide outlines the basic requirements and responsibilities for members assigned to the IRR, ASL or ISL. The Member Guide answers several frequently asked questions. All IRR, ASL and ISL members are highly encouraged become familiar with the Member Guide. In the event the Member Guide does not answer your question, please email the RPM-3 staff.

Correspondence Courses

Members in the IRR and ASL may complete correspondence courses to earn a satisfactory anniversary year for retirement. Enlisted members with 20 or more years of satisfactory service (i.e. issued a 20 year letter) and all officers are required to earn 50 retirement points during each anniversary year. Failure to earn 50 points during an anniversary year will result in transfer to the ISL or separation for failure to meet participation requirements.

Correspondence course completion certificates must be emailed to: in order to receive retirement point credit. Your point values will populate to your Reserve Points Statement (sometime referred to as Reserve Member Balances) and the My Member info report (Self - Service - Employee - Tasks). You are highly encouraged to review your Reserve Points Statement and My Member Info Report in Direct Access to ensure your points were credited as you expected. Point values do change periodically and are based on the date the course is completed. Retirement points will not be earned for correspondence courses completed in the same day any other duty is performed. 

List of approved correspondence courses for retirement points.

NOTE: Retirement points for a specific correspondence course can only be credited once in a member’s career (CIM1001.28, Chapter 8).

Transferring to the Selected Reserve (SELRES)

IRR members desiring to return to the SELRES must first be slated for a SELRES assignment by RPM-2. Once slated for an assignment, IRR members must successfully complete a series of medical, dental and administrative tasks before they will eligible to transfer to the SELRES. ASL and ISL members must complete a Reserve Component Category Change request (RCC) to the IRR before they can compete for a SELRES assignment or request transfer to the SELRES.

  • The process to transition from the IRR to the SELRES is outlined on the RPM-3 IRR to SELRES website.
  • Additional information on SERLES assignments can be found on the RPM-2 website.

RCC Requests

RPM-1 Status is responsible for approving all RCC requests. However, as the command for IRR, ASL and ISL members, RPM-3 must endorse all RCC requests involving IRR, ASL and ISL members before RPM-1 Status will approve. To request an RCC out of the IRR, ASL or ISL, complete the documents below and email them to the RPM-3 SPO at: Please allow up to 30 days for processing.

  1. CG-1001 - Change in Reserve Component Category
  2. CG-3307 AT-10 A, B, C or D (choose appropriate one below)
    1. AT-10A: Transfer to IRR
    2.  AT-10B: Transfer to ISL
    3.  AT-10C: Transfer to ASL
    4.  AT-10D: Transfer to SELRES
  3. DD-2760 - Qualification to Possess Firearms or Ammunition

Drill for Reserve Retirement Points Only (IRR only)

IRR members may be authorized to perform non-paid IDT and ADT for retirement point credit only (no pay). This is commonly referred to as ‘drilling for points’ or ‘DFPO’. Approval from RPM must be obtained prior to an IRR member drilling for points or performing any other duty. Additional information is available on the DFPO website.

Regular To Reserve (R2R) Appointment Panel

The Regular to Reserve (R2R) Panel is typically convened every February and October to consider members with regular commissions who are released from active duty, or who are within one year of discharge, for a Reserve commission in accordance with Chapter 1.G of CIM1000.3.

Officers with an active duty commission that desire to affiliate with the Coast Guard Reserve (except those approved for Temp Sep after 24 Jun 2016) must request appointment as a Reserve officer through the R2R Panel. RPM-1 (not RPM-3) is responsible for the R2R process. As such, questions about transitioning from active duty to the Coast Guard Reserve should be directed to RPM-1 by emailing: Additional information on the R2R process can be found here.

Officers with an approved Temp Sep Agreement on or after 24 June 2016 are required to affiliate with the Coast Guard Reserve. Once approved for a Reserve Commission by DHS, RPM-1 will release an ALCGPSC message with the list of Temp Sep officers approved for a Reserve commission. All officers listed in the message are required to comply with the requirements and deadlines in the outlined in the message as a condition of their Temp Sep agreement. Failure to do may result in permanent separation from the Coast Guard.

All regular commissioned officers considering a Reserve commission are strongly encouraged to begin planning well in advance of their separation date (1 year if possible). Timing your transition correctly is extremely important and will help you avoid (or minimize) a break in service and/or limit the amount of time spent in the IRR or ISL.

Although the information below is intended to help members better understand the transition process more fully, the information below should NOT be used as a substitute for promulgated guidance from RPM-1. RPM-1 is the definitive source for all things pertaining to the R2R process and overrides anything below.

  • Request a Reserve Commission at the same time you request your active duty resignation.
  • Apply to the Regular to Reserve (R2R) Appointment Panel. R2R panels are typically convened every February and October. Message traffic (ALCGPSC) is typically released 2-3 months prior to the convening date and provides a list of requirements and deadlines.
  • Officers with an unqualified resignation typically must apply within one year of separation.
  • If you are interested in a SELRES assignment, strongly consider the Reserve assignment timeline before applying for the R2R panel or Temp Sep. In order to compete for a SELRES assignment you must first have been recommended for a Reserve commission from a previous R2R Panel or have an approved Temp Sep separation authorization in Direct Access.
  • SELRES assignments follow a similar process as the active duty process, but with a slightly different timeline. Reserve eResumes are typically due in January for assignment OOA 1 October.
  • Typically members approved for a Reserve commission by the October R2R Panel have the best opportunity to compete for a SELRES assignment immediately.
  • For questions on the Regular to Reserve Commission process please visit the RPM-1 R2R website or email
  • For further guidance on SELRES assignments and off-season assignments see RPM-2 Assignments page.

SPO Contact Information

RPM-3 Branch Chief: LCDR Jarod Ross
Drill for Points Requests:
IRR to SELRES Transitions: