PSC-RPM-3 manages the Coast Guard’s Reserve Incapacitation Benefit (RIB) system for ill and injured reservists and acts as the Coast Guard’s Benefits Issuing Authority (BIA) for Medical Hold (Med Hold) orders, Active Duty for Health Care (ADHC) orders, Notices of Eligibility (NOE) and incapacitation pay. The primary references used to determine eligibility for benefits are: the Reserve Policy Manual, COMDTINST1001.28(series) and DoDI 1241.01.


  • Authorizing medical hold orders for members incurring or aggravating an injury, illness or disease while serving on active duty for a period of more than 30 days;
  • Authorizing Active Duty for Health Care (ADHC) for members incurring or aggravating an injury, illness or disease while serving in a qualifying duty status as described below
    • Active duty for a period of 30 days or less;
    • Inactive Duty Training (IDT); or
    • Service on Funeral Honors Duty
  • Authorizing Notice of Eligibility (NOE) for medical treatment/care;
  • Validate claims for incapacitation pay and forward to PPC(ses) for processing.
  • Authorizing continued care identified by Post Deployment Health Reassessments (PDHRA);
  • Ensuring reserve medical cases are properly referred to the Physical Disability Evaluation System (PDES);  
  • Exercising assignment authority for reservists assigned to Medical Support Allowance billets in conjunction with PDES processing;
  • Maintaining a system to track incapacitated reservists in accordance with DODI 1241.1, Reserve Component Incapacitation System Management.
  • Approving Medical waivers for Reservists; and
  • Managing HIV cases for Reservists

VA Disability Compensation

Reservists who are receiving VA disability compensation are not entitled to receive military pay and allowances (active duty or IDT) at the same time.  Any reservist receiving VA disability compensation must elect to receive military pay and allowances or VA compensation through annual submission of a waiver form to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The Notice of Waiver of VA Compensation or Pension to Receive Military Pay and Allowances VA Form 21-8951-2 is used to elect a waiver of VA Compensation or military pay and allowances. VA form 21-8951-2 must be completed each fiscal year by the member, endorsed by the member's unit CO, and submitted to the VA regional office responsible for the member's VA claim file.

If you have questions or need assistance with completing VA Form 21-8951-2, please contact the VA at 1-800-827-1000

Additional information regarding VA Disability Compensation is available from the Department of Veterans Affairs website at: