Reserve VA Education


RPM-3 is the Program Manager for all Reserve VA Educational Benefit Programs. A brief description of each program is located below. RPM-3’s primary role with Reserve VA Education Benefits is to verify eligibility and approve all Reserve Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Although RPM-3 makes every attempt to ensure the information below is up-to-date, the VA does make changes periodically. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is the authoritative source for all VA education benefits. It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you refer directly to the VA Education Programs website for the latest information on VA education benefits or call the VA at: 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551).

Please send questions about eligibility, service obligation(s) or the programs in general to:

Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

The MGIB-SR, also referred to as Chapter 1606 is available to members of the Selected Reserve (SELRES) only.

Eligibility typically requires the following:

  1. A six-year obligation to serve in the SELRES signed after June 30, 1985.
  2. Completion of your initial active duty for training (IADT) ("A" School).
  3. You must be in good standing while serving in an active SELRES unit.

Eligibility Period:

  1. Normally ends on one of the following: The day you leave the SELRES unless eligibility is suspended to allow a member to transfer to another RCC for a period of up to 1 year (3 years for a religious missionary obligation).
  2. Members who became eligible between July 1, 1985 and September 30, 1992 generally have 10 years to use the benefit.
  3. Member who became eligible between October 1, 1992 and June 29, 2008 generally have 14 years to use the benefit.
  4. Members who became eligible after June 29, 2008, lose eligibility when they separate from the SELRES.

Benefit Period:

Up to 36 months 

How to Apply:

A member requires a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) DD Form 2384-1 to use the MGIB-SR. This should be provided to the member upon graduation from “A” School. If you do not receive it, contact the Reserve VA Education office at for assistance. Certain exceptions and additional requirements may exist. Please review the VA MGIB-SR website for complete details.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

Available to members who were called or ordered to active duty in support of a contingency operation. This program ended on November 25, 2015 unless the member was currently enrolled in an educational institution and using the REAP benefit. These members will remain eligible for REAP benefits until November 25, 2019.

Post 9/11 GI Bill

Available to members who have at least 90 days of aggregate qualifying active duty service since September 10, 2001.


If you have at least 90 days of aggregate qualifying active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program.

NOTE: If you have eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and any other GI Bill program you must make an irrevocable election of the Post-9/11 GI Bill before you can receive any benefits.

Forever GI Bill - Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act

Summary of changes made to the Post 9/11 GI Bill can be found on the VA's Forever GI Bill website

Eligibility Period:

Generally 15 years following your release from active duty.

Benefit Period:

Up to 36 months.

How to Apply:

To use your Post 9/11 GI bill you will need to submit VA Form 22-1990, this can be done either by paper form or electronically via the VA's website.

Transfer of Post 9/11 GI Bill to Spouse and Dependents

The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows Service members to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The Coast Guard determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family. Once your transfer of benefits is approved, the new beneficiaries may apply for them through the VA directly.


Available to current active duty or SELRES members who have at least six years of retirement qualifying service in the armed forces (active duty and/or SELRES) and have 4 years of service remaining on their current enlistment from the date of their application.  The member must also complete the provided SEP-22 (CG-3307), agreeing to serve the additional four years in the armed forces (active duty or SELRES) from the date of their application.

NOTE: IRR, ASL, ISL, and retired members are NOT eligible to transfer benefits. .

Eligibility Period:

 Generally 15 years following release from active duty (children may be able to use benefits beyond 15 years after release from active duty, but not after reaching age 26).Benefit Period: Generally up to 36 months.

How to Apply:

 To transfer your education benefits to your dependents you need to go into your MilConnect account, select the Benefits tab, then Transfer of Education Benefits. Answer the questions and submit your request.


Additional Resources