U. S. Coast Guard Pay & Personnel Center

Advancements, Service Validation and Personnel Data Corrections (ADV)

PPC Page Menu
Contact Us

Mailing address:

Commanding Officer (Staff Symbol)
U.S. Coast Guard 
Pay & Personnel Center
444 S. E. Quincy St.
Topeka, KS 66683-3591


(866) 772-8724
(785) 339-2000
For E-Gov Travel Sys (ETS) Call the 
hotline: 1-866-800-USCG (8724)


(785) 339-3780


Customer CarePPC-DG-CustomerCare@uscg.mil

Web Content Manager - PPC-SMB-PPC-PD@uscg.mil


Direct Access https://hcm.direct-access.uscg.mil
Log on to ETS/ETS Logo https://e2.gov.cwtsatotravel.com/

Feedback button
Report broken links 
or other website
issues here

Portal Login

customer care

Blended Retirement System Information

DMDC Logo/MilConnect LnkmilConnect

MyCG Logo

​Pay & Personnel Center (ADV) Quarterly Data Integrity Newsletter

Welcome to the PPC ADV Quarterly Data Integrity Newsletter. This newsletter will cover the top 10 issues our Data Correction team has seen over the last 3 months and provide you with direction on how to correct or prevent these issues at the field level. We appreciate all your hard work in the field and our goal with this quarterly newsletter is to provide you with all the tools you need to succeed!

Statements of Creditable Service (SOCS) and Statements of Creditable Sea Service (SOCSS)


Our foremost purpose is to validate creditable military service. We process Statements of Creditable Service (SOCS) and Statements of Creditable Sea Service (SOCSS). These requests must be submitted by the Servicing Personnel Office (SPO) via a trouble ticket to PPC Customer Care, and can take up to a year or longer for PPC to complete.

Requesting a SOCS

Refer to: Statement of Creditable Service (SOCS) Guide (the guide includes the checklist)New

The SPO Must Request a SOCS When:

  1. The member’s service dates (i.e., Active Duty Base Date (ADBD), Pay Base Date (PBD), Date of Initial Entry into Military Service (DIEMS) are incorrect.
  2. The member is enlisting (or assessed as officers) and has prior service in another branch of service.
  3. The member is enlisting (or assessed as officers) and has prior Coast Guard or Coast Guard Reserve service with a break in service.
  4. The member is a Coast Guard reservist with greater than 15 years of total combined active service who is considering extended active duty (Retirement Sanctuary Rule).
  5. The member is a Coast Guard reservist who is integrating into the regular Coast Guard.
  6. A member graduates from the Academy with an appointment as a commissioned officer and the member attended the Scholar Program (served on active duty or reserve) prior to hire as a Cadet

  7. A member dis-enrolls from the Academy and returns to enlisted status.

Requesting a SOCSS

Refer to: Statement of Creditable Sea Service (SOCSS) Guide (the guide includes checklist)New

The SPO must request a SOCSS when:

  1. A member’s sea time is incorrect.

Note 1:  Do not ignore suspected sea time errors simply because a member is not currently assigned to a sea pay eligible vessel.

Note 2:  Prior to January 1, 2015, if there is a discrepancy in the sea pay, the SPO PAO official needs to certify the member is/was entitled to Career Sea Pay (the actual dates) IAW 4.B. “Career Sea Pay” of the Pay Manual for any and all pre DA sea pay/time issues that were not entered into JUMPS (JDR).

Note 3:  Prior to January 1, 2015 the SPO must provide documentation supporting sea time adjustments requested.

Documentation Needed

To generate an accurate service statement PPC requires all of the member's prior service documentation to be scanned and emailed to us.

  • All contracts (i.e., DD Form 4). IMPORTANT: Do NOT send a member’s DD-4 Enlistment Contracts with the SOCSS request. These are only needed for a Statement of Creditable Service (SOCS), not a SOCSS.
  • All Discharge Documents including DD-214's (preferably member copy, page 4) and NGB 22 and 23's for National Guard members. (NGB Documents are the National Guard's version of the DD-214 and enlistment contracts)
  • All Oath of Office (Officers) 
  • For members who served in a Reserve Component and/or the National Guard (prior to entering us the US Coast Guard), we must have the Reserve Retirement Statements.
  • All National Guard NGB 22 and/or 23’s (NGB Documents are the National Guard’s version of the DD-214 and enlistment contracts). Copies should be available from the office of the State Adjutant General.

Documents Containing Errors

If you request a SOCS with a DD-214 that is incorrect, our SOCS would mirror the DD-214 that we receive and would consequently be incorrect, possibly putting the member in an incorrect pay status.

If your DD-214 requires a change or correction, you will need to submit a DD-149, Application for Correction of Military Record Under the Provisions of Title 10, U.S. Code, Section 1552, along with supporting documentation to PSC (bops-c) at HQS-DG-M-CGPSC-BOPS-C@uscg.mil.

How to request a SOCS/SOCSSUpdated

For all SOCS/SOCSS requests an E-6 or above in the member’s SPO must contact PPC Customer Service via an online trouble ticket or send an email to PPC-DG-customercare@uscg.mil  and provide the following information:

Note: Any request for a SOCS/SOCSS must be submitted by an E-6 and above. Any SOCS/SOCSS request without a completed and verified checklist will be returned and the ticket closed.

If the SOCS is being requested by an Entry Point (i.e., TRACEN Cape May, CG Academy) and the Entry Point is NOT in possession of the required source documents, flag the member’s record and request the receiving SPO at the member’s first PDS submit the SOCS request with the required source documents.

Per the Personnel and Pay Procedures Manual, do not request SOCS completion status less than 120 days from initial request date.

The SPO will file a copy of the SOCS/SOCSS request in the member's PDR, section 2, to serve as supporting documentation for crediting the member with prior service time for pay entry base date and active duty base date purposes.

Interim Pay Base Date (PBD) Adjustment 

Because it may take an extended period of time to receive records from the National Personnel Records Center, and from other Armed Services, PPC can enter an Interim PBD adjustment. The SPO must request an Interim PBD adjustment and provide the specific date to be used as the interim PBD. Because there is the possibility that the DD-214 from the prior service may not support the request interim PBD, the SPO must counsel the member that they may be overpaid due to the Interim Pay Base Date adjustment. Requests for an interim adjustment must contain the following sentence from section 6-J of the Personnel and Pay Procedures Manual (3PM):

"The member has been counseled and understands that if the total sea time/prior service added, based on the DD-214, is not supported by the prior service records, then the member will be in an overpaid status."

The purpose of the Interim Adjustment is to help the member get his pay adjusted in a timely manner. PPC will only use blocks 12A and 12B of the DD Form 214 for pay base date purposes and will not count any active or inactive time. If the member is accessing from the reserve component, PPC will only use the point statement from the other Armed Service. A SOCS will still be completed once all of the information from the National Personnel Records Center and the member’s prior service has been received from the SPO/member. An interim adjustment does not speed up the casework process.

Last Modified    October 14, 2021