Office of Work-Life Programs : School Liaison Program
Home School Resources
Education resources for elementary and secondary students and parents. While these resources are timely for families at home currently, they are also beneficial throughout the year.
Who is Eligible for this Program?
The School Liaison Program (SLP) is available to the following members of the Coast Guard:
- Active Duty, Select Reservists, and their family members
- Civil Service employees
- Exchange System and MWR employees
Purpose of Program
The purpose of the School Liaison Program is to provide education support information, referral, and guidance to maximize the opportunity for academic success of military associated children. It also assists parents with locating points of contact in the schools, make referrals as appropriate and maintain resource materials.
Discussions on school-related matters are confidential.
Services and Resources Available
- DoD School Liaison Officers (SLO) – DoD SLOs work in partnership with local schools, advise DoD and Coast Guard Service members of school-aged children on educational issues and needs, and assist in solving education-related problems.
- State Department of Education - Contact the department of education in your state, or the adult education, arts, child care, higher education, humanities, libraries, PTA, special education, tech-prep, vocational rehabilitation, vocational-technical, or other education office in your state.
- Work-Life Brochure – This brochure provides additional resources on school-related issues and deployment.
The following references provide details for the DoD Education Activity (DoDEA) program and schooling for minor dependents:
DISCLAIMER: Links to non-federal entities are provided as an administrative convenience. The Coast Guard cannot and does not endorse any of the linked non-federal entities, their products, or their services
- Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) - Includes both overseas and domestic schools located on military bases. Parents can find school information and locations as well as regulations governing these schools.
- Great Schools - This website allows you to view parent reviews as well as school ratings based on test scores.
- Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC) - MCEC ensures inclusive, quality educational experiences for all military-connected children affected by mobility, family separation, and transition. They provide responsive and relevant support systems, resources, and products.
- Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission (MIC3) - Military families move between postings on a regular basis, and while reassignments can often be a boon for career personnel, they can be difficult for the children of military families. The Compact seeks to make transition easier for the children of military families.
Point of Contact
Please contact the Family Resource Specialist (FRS) or Child Development Services Specialist (CDSS) on your Regional Work-Life Staff at 1-800-872-4957. If additional assistance is needed, please contact Office of Work-Life HQ at HQS-SMB-FamilySupportServices@uscg.mil.